5 second rule (Table Captains)

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Jeff (Divemaster) mentioned in a different thread that he would give advice on appearance for a box "with the 5 second rule just like in a real comp".
How many of you judges (and cooks) feel this is how appearence score should be (or is being ) handled by the table captain?
One of my pet peeves is a TC who whooses the box by me like it's a game show. If this is happening at my table I ask them to slow down a little.
I TC'd twice this year and told my table before we started that I would hold the box before them until they gave me a head nod. It really took no more time (definatly not 1 minute) and afterward they felt that they really got a chance to examine and appreciate the box as presented.
Obviously if you get some dink spending too much time you need to speak to him.
Personally, I think this would be a good rule of practice to get into.
How many of you feel you get enough time to decide on your appearence scores?
Ed

I have usually felt fine with the time I am given. Most table captains wait till they get a head nod or I have begun to write my score before moving on. On the rare occassion where needed I have asked to see it again and that has always been honored.keith

We always ask for a nod. It's usually taught in our CBJ class out of respect for the TC and it gives the judge time. Sorry, but if a judge takes an extra 5 or 10 seconds before they nod, I don't move on.

I have only judged once but the table captain didnt move the box till you were writin the score down.

Only once or twice have I had to ask the TC to slow down. Usually the TC waits for a nod or for the judge to start writing before he moves on.

My experience is the nod or a "thank you" is required and appreciated. It doesn't take long and the teams deserve the time for the best evaluation of their product.

Jeff (Divemaster) mentioned in a different thread that he would give advice on appearance for a box "with the 5 second rule just like in a real comp".
How many of you judges (and cooks) feel this is how appearance score should be (or is being ) handled by the table captain?
One of my pet peeves is a TC who whooses the box by me like it's a game show. If this is happening at my table I ask them to slow down a little.
I TC'd twice this year and told my table before we started that I would hold the box before them until they gave me a head nod. It really took no more time (defiantly not 1 minute) and afterward they felt that they really got a chance to examine and appreciate the box as presented.
Obviously if you get some dink spending too much time you need to speak to him.
Personally, I think this would be a good rule of practice to get into.
How many of you feel you get enough time to decide on your appearance scores?
Ed
In my defense, the five second rule I spoke of is more to keep me from spending to much time looking at my screen. I too have asked the TC to slow down or even bring back a box if they moved it on to fast.

Sorry for any confusion.

Back