logo

Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Recovery Fest, Richmond VA

U2CANQUE

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
They do not have a team list, but, it is a first year sanctioned contest....hoping that they get the minimum 15 for qualification...but, heading up the road for this one......

I really wish this contest wasn't on the same weekend as Hedgesville, WV. This contest is only an hour and a half drive for me vs. 4 1/2 to Hedgesville. This will be my second year at Hedgesville, plus its an automatic qualifier.... man I wish I could do both, but my application has been in for Hedgesville long before this contest was even announced. I wish I could do both. Maybe next year they'll pick a better weekend for this contest.

I would do it, but Nelson isn't.
Now if I won they would just say it was because Nelson wasn't there. LOL

I really wish this contest wasn't on the same weekend as Hedgesville, WV. This contest is only an hour and a half drive for me vs. 4 1/2 to Hedgesville. This will be my second year at Hedgesville, plus its an automatic qualifier.... man I wish I could do both, but my application has been in for Hedgesville long before this contest was even announced. I wish I could do both. Maybe next year they'll pick a better weekend for this contest.

Ditto. This comp is just 30 minutes from me.

Besides the automatic qualifier and top-notch competition that will be at Hedgeville, the bluegrass side of the festival ROCKS!!! :hail:

I believe this is one Boshizzle is competing in.

Wow, a contest in the City of my birth...How cool would that be...I gotta get out of LA...

We will be there, rolling in Friday morning

I was not thinking this was a qualifier when you all posted it would be if there were 15 teams. I can tell you there are 15 teams how ever I copied and pasted the below from the royal's website. It says it must be a state championship and 15 teams for a 1st year comp. This comp is not a state championship. Do I have it wrong? Would this be a qualifier?

Qualifying Contests Include:

·Contests with a “qualifying state championship.” A state championship is a contest with a state proclamation signed by the Governor with at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.

·Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.

·A state with only one contest must have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered but does not require a “state championship” proclamation.

To be considered a “competing team,” teams must submit entries for all contest categories required to be the grand champion or overall winner of that event.

I was not thinking this was a qualifier when you all posted it would be if there were 15 teams. I can tell you there are 15 teams how ever I copied and pasted the below from the royal's website. It says it must be a state championship and 15 teams for a 1st year comp. This comp is not a state championship. Do I have it wrong? Would this be a qualifier?
To be considered a “competing team,” teams must submit entries for all contest categories required to be the grand champion or overall winner of that event.

If it's not a state championship, it's not a qualifier. It still might be a good contest.

Congrats to the Two Worthless Nuts for winning this competition today. Plus a bonus that it was an unadvertised State Championship!

Congrats, Two Worthless Nuts. And, I can confirm, it was a state championship and the winner has an automatic invite to the KC Royal and a shot at the Jack. I was a judge and the KCBS rep told us all about it before turn ins.

Grand Champion: 2 Worthless Nuts
Reserve Champion: B&B Backyard BBQ

Overall:
1 2 Worthless Nuts
2 B&B Backyard BBQ
3 Butts, Blues, and Brews
4 Piedmont Pit BBQ
5 Hogback MTN BBQ
6 Pigsweat
7 Big C" Stew-N-Que"
8 Kendrick Farms BBQ
9 Smokin Pit Crew
10 Henrico Co. Drug Court
11 Holy Smoking
12 Henrico Sheriff's Team
13 JM & J's Butts
14 McShin Alumni
15 Widespread Solutions
16 Carter's Pigpen BBQ
17 Rubicon
18 River City

Chicken:
1 Piedmont Pit BBQ
2 B&B Backyard BBQ
3 2 Worthless Nuts
4 Butts, Blues, and Brews
5 Pigsweat
6 JM & J's Butts
7 Smokin Pit Crew
8 River City
9 Big C" Stew-N-Que"
10 Hogback MTN BBQ
11 Widespread Solutions
12 Rubicon
13 Holy Smoking
14 Henrico Co. Drug Court
15 Carter's Pigpen BBQ
16 McShin Alumni
17 Kendrick Farms BBQ
18 Henrico Sheriff's Team

Ribs:
1 Kendrick Farms BBQ
2 Piedmont Pit BBQ
3 Big C" Stew-N-Que"
4 Butts, Blues, and Brews
5 Pigsweat
6 B&B Backyard BBQ
7 Henrico Co. Drug Court
8 Hogback MTN BBQ
9 2 Worthless Nuts
10 Holy Smoking
11 Smokin Pit Crew
12 Henrico Sheriff's Team
13 McShin Alumni
14 Carter's Pigpen BBQ
15 River City
16 Widespread Solutions
17 Rubicon
18 JM & J's Butts

Pork:
1 2 Worthless Nuts
2 Butts, Blues, and Brews
3 B&B Backyard BBQ
4 Kendrick Farms BBQ
5 Hogback MTN BBQ
6 Piedmont Pit BBQ
7 Pigsweat
8 Henrico Sheriff's Team
9 Big C" Stew-N-Que"
10 McShin Alumni
11 Holy Smoking
12 Smokin Pit Crew
13 Carter's Pigpen BBQ
14 Henrico Co. Drug Court
15 Rubicon
16 JM & J's Butts
17 River City
18 Widespread Solutions

Brisket:
1 Hogback MTN BBQ
2 2 Worthless Nuts
3 Big C" Stew-N-Que"
4 B&B Backyard BBQ
5 Piedmont Pit BBQ
6 Pigsweat
7 Butts, Blues, and Brews
8 Smokin Pit Crew
9 Henrico Co. Drug Court
10 JM & J's Butts
11 Holy Smoking
12 Widespread Solutions
13 Kendrick Farms BBQ
14 Rubicon
15 Carter's Pigpen BBQ
16 Henrico Sheriff's Team
17 McShin Alumni
18 River City

Congrats on your 1st place brisket, Ruben!

Bo, what's your team name?

Thanks Mark, Boshizzle ended up not being able to compete but showed up anyway to support the cause, they were short on judges and ended up drafting him to judge.

Rob,
Congrats, it was a great comp, thanks for the help. It was good meeting you and being neighbors.

HBMTN,
Congrats, on the brisket, it was nice meeting you all also.

Does anyone have a name & number for the event organizer? I want to get in touch and beg them to find another wknd next year. They will get a full slate of teams if they dont conflict with Hedgesville.

Thanks BeerGuy

Mark I have already taken care of that. It was the 1st thing I did when I got there on Friday. Not sure if he took me seriuos or not, I told him everyone was in WV that weekend and his comment was " not everyone we have 19 teams here" I told him if he only wanted 19 next year to keep it the same weekend but if he wanted to grow it to 30-50 teams then move it a week or two. We'll see.

Ruben, maybe if several of us called him and told him the same thing he might get the message. If you have his number, please post it.

Back