• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Proper Comp Etiquette

sharks_guy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi,
Been involved in 5 competitions this year (my first year) and have noticed an unusual behavior.

Neighboring teams will often bring by samples of their wares during turn ins. I hope I do not offend anyone, but during turn-ins, I am really not interested in sampling other's food, I am focused on what I am doing. I appreciate being able to taste other's food, but when I am focused I find it sort of irritating??

With that said, is there an unspoken rule that says it is polite to prepare some samples for neighbors between turn ins? and should I try and be a good neighbor by sharing? or if you share with others, is it ok to not receive something back?

Thanks.

Hi,
Been involved in 5 competitions this year (my first year) and have noticed an unusual behavior.

Neighboring teams will often bring by samples of their wares during turn ins. I hope I do not offend anyone, but during turn-ins, I am really not interested in sampling other's food, I am focused on what I am doing. I appreciate being able to taste other's food, but when I am focused I find it sort of irritating??

With that said, is there an unspoken rule that says it is polite to prepare some samples for neighbors between turn ins? and should I try and be a good neighbor by sharing? or if you share with others, is it ok to not receive something back?

Thanks.

We have never had that happen. Maybe since you are a newbie team, they are try to give you an idea of what your end product should be like. It's not something that should be done during turn-in. Sharing is not necessary and if it bothers you a simple, "we are a new team and we need as much time as we can get for turn-in's. We would love to sample your que after turn-in is over." would suffice. Also try to keep in mind that competing should be enjoyable. Getting irritated takes the fun out of it.

We generaly don't share our food. If another team brings food I'll eat it, but if it is during turn ins, I have no problem asking them to wait and I will see them after. There is nothing more frustrating then being messed with during turn ins.

We will share with friends, but if they look busy I leave them alone. In most cases the 30 seconds that it takes to taste something isn't go to hurt us, but if you're too busy just say so, politely, and they will understand.

Do you compete under a canopy? Get some side walls or tarps. Put them up during turn in. It's just like Halloween. :rolleyes:

Doesn't bother us at all. It's part of the comraderie. It's sharing with your friends. That's the way we look at it anyway. Sometimes we smile at each other cause we know we just beat their sample, :becky: and sometimes we look at each other and say, "oh crap!" :shock:

Just put up your walls and nobody will bother you.

Rich and Bunny/KCass BBQ

we got shared with at hudson valley for the first time by our nice neighbors Hogbutts and Deans 911 Rescue Crew. i thought it was nice of them and we prepared plates for them as well. it helps if you have someone on the team to field offers such as this and prepare stuff for others while one person works on turn ins. it's also good to have one person "work the crowd" as well, to prevent distractions from the person doing turn ins.

We have many friends that we trade turn in samples with every time we cook
The tradition is take your worst rib over and say it was number 7 just couldn't fit it in the box :) It is all in good fun

We have shared with others and had others share with us. It's helped to make some good friendships and I find that I always have time to say hi, take a bite and then you've got something to talk about after turn-ins.

I love trading samples during turn-in and have learned a few things as a result of doing so. I can't think of a better way to see and taste what the reclusive competition is doing. This year we have had some great neighbors and were honored to swap samples with them. And as a bonus, some of it has been the best BBQ I've had.

We receive and share samples at most comps...but...we have 1 hour turn-ins so we have time...:cool:

We receive and share samples at most comps...but...we have 1 hour turn-ins so we have time...:cool:

ditto. Especially with friends. And as mentioned above. You might get to taste a winning entry.

Awesome, As usual, you all rock!

I love the idea of the EZ Up walls. This will help while I get some more experience. I also enjoy getting a sample from a winning team, but too understand that I might be getting the worst of their cook, so it may or may not be meaningful. I am sure, as I get more competitions under my belt, the time will not seem as short, and I won't feel as stressed out. Comps are all about fun, and in general, I am having fun, but still feel the stress during that two-hour window. I look forward to the day when I can knock out all the turnins, and still have time to have fun and chat with neighbors, public and anyone else.

Thanks again to all, and good luck to you.

Sample exchanges are pretty common aroung these parts - especially with new teams. I do like to taste them when offered because it helps me get a bead on what the judges liked at that contest. When you only have your own stuff as a reference it's impossible to triangulate, but if you also tasted A and B and thought they were very X compared to yours, then when you get the score sheets you get a better idea of how different levels of X fared.

The toughest part is finding a way to be helpful when somebody gives you a sample that you think is really bad without insulting that cook.

Sample exchanges are pretty common aroung these parts - especially with new teams. I do like to taste them when offered because it helps me get a bead on what the judges liked at that contest. When you only have your own stuff as a reference it's impossible to triangulate, but if you also tasted A and B and thought they were very X compared to yours, then when you get the score sheets you get a better idea of how different levels of X fared.

The toughest part is finding a way to be helpful when somebody gives you a sample that you think is really bad without insulting that cook.
That's exactly why I got into judging - because I had no idea what the goals were. Now that I've judged quite a few, I have an excellent idea of where we need to be.

During turn in time, I don't bother anyone and no one bothers me. (Walls? Check.) Friday night and Saturday morning, we do share back and forth with others. But come about 9:00AM, things start getting really busy and we just keep our heads down and get it done.

Have done about 5 comps as well. Have been fortunate to taste many samples (although it's usually after turn-ins have been completed). I've found these to be very helpful...I've been set up next to some very good teams and appreciate the insight into flavors, technique that have contributed to their success.

Back