Pork shoulder "roast"???

NebraskaBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I stopped at a Fareway grocery store on my way home from work because I keep hearing that their meat market is great. My goal was to get a pork butt or 2, but the only thing they had was a pork shoulder roast. Obviously this must come from the shoulder just like a regular butt, but it's only like 3.5 lbs so I'm guessing they just cut down their shoulders for people who want something crock-pot sized?? Does anyone have experience cooking something like this? Will it turn out just like a normal butt? I had to just buy one because I didn't have time to stop anywhere else. Help!!

Yeah pretty much the same thing.

Cheers

I agree with everyone! I treat it the same as I would a shoulder only less time and put the fat cap facing the fire box. Best of luck and hope to see some Pron soon!!

Ya, it is all the same thing...just cut down by the butcher. If you want a bigger one, why not strike up a conversation with the meat guys. Most of them will hook you up with what you want. I prefer bone-in...the boneless ones seem to cook uneven for me even if I tie em up tight.

I got a pork shoulder roast in other day and cook it in a crock-pot just like a pot roast.
Turned out GREAT!!!
Good Luck

I got a pork shoulder roast in other day and cook it in a crock-pot just like a pot roast.
Turned out GREAT!!!
Good Luck

Just smoked a pork shoulder roast today. Sliced it and ate it like a pot roast. It turned out really great too!:-D

Did you just buy it out of the case or did you ask if they had any in the back? My Fareway never puts whole butts in the display cooler, but always has them in the walk in cooler. My local Fareway sells a lot of pork steaks, (sliced butts) and that small end that is leftover after slicing to the end of the bone gets sold as boneless shoulder roast, or goes into the grinder.

Their butts are generally higher priced than Hy-Vee, but they are not "solution enhanced" like the Hormel pork that Hy-Vee offers. (same with their spare ribs) However, if Hy-Vee has butts on sale, Fareway will match the price.

Chris

Thanks for the help everyone. It's on the smoker right now. Chris, I went in at 5:00 on a Friday and it was PACKED so I didn't get a chance to chat with the meat guys at all. Next time I'll find out where they are hiding the butts.

Back