Fonda MOINK

zydecopaws

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tonight we played with our food. We are fond of MOINK, but tonight it was Fondue MOINK. First order of business? MOINK Balls on Bubba Ho-Keg using our standard recipe minus the glaze.

IMG_2611.jpg

The MOINK was joined on the grill by some pearl onions. If you like grilled onions, you’ve got to try them this way. In fact, even if you don’t like onions you should try them this way. Simply put them on the grill in their skins until they soften up, them pinch off an end of the skin and squeeze the innards into your mouth. They were sweet and incredibly tasty.

But I digress. We made a cheese fondue mix with Gruyere, Emmental, and Gorgonzola cheese, some garlic, white wine, cornstarch, and brandy soaked in dried cherries (I didn’t have any Kirsh, or I would have used that instead. We added some other fondue dipping essentials (bread, mushrooms, grape tomatoes) and we were ready to eat.

IMG_2619.jpg

The meal was over the top and I'm headed to the couch to pass out very soon. And as it turns out, my timing is horrible. SmokeJumper just announced cheese as the next throwdown category, but it doesn’t officially begin until midnight Friday.

And no, I don’t intend to use this for BBQ Grail's 2010 MOINK Challenge either. I have something else planned for that…

I'll admit that getting the cheese mixture on this right was the toughest part of the meal. I had to fark with it for quite awhile to get the consistency right.

I'm missing something... Aren't you supposed to drink the leftover cheese afterwards? I mean dipping is all good but, good cheese going to waste is a crime. And why weren't the shrooms grilled? And bread toasted? And! and! Yeah....

I'm missing something... Aren't you supposed to drink the leftover cheese afterwards? I mean dipping is all good but, good cheese going to waste is a crime. And why weren't the shrooms grilled? And bread toasted? And! and! Yeah....
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the raw shrooms. Grilling them sure brings out the flavor.

That looks dang good for a girlie meal!

Show it to Redhot and see if she gets excited. Then call it all the names you want... :heh:

You presume there was leftover cheese when we were done. And proper fondue doesn't use toasted bread. This was fondue, not Welsh Rarebit.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the raw shrooms. Grilling them sure brings out the flavor.

It's interesting; my comment after we were finished was "next time I'll grill the mushrooms with the onions". I had considered it, but made the mistake of actually paying attention to the fondue recipe (well, most of it anyway) and it suggested raw mushrooms. But I will say this again, get your hands on some pearl onions and cook them this way; they are out of this world.

Seriously though, marinate the mushrooms for an hour in Italian Dressing, lightly grill then cool, batter and deep fry. THEN you can dip in the cheese pool.:thumb:

Not that the MOINK fondue wasn't already, but that sounds positively decadent! :thumb:

Back