MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Manny69
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Need help

I am cooking 12 butts right now. They usually take about 8-10hrs on my smoker and that is what I was planning. I put them on at 5am so they would be ready by 5pm. The only problem is I have some that are at 130 degres and range all the way up to 183 degrees. Any suggestions on how to slow down the temps. They haven't stalled at all. Please help
Manny69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would check your thermos and rotate your butts
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Manny69
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Done that. I got 4 different therms and tried them all in each one. I've rotated also. I think what I'll prob end up doing is cooking until they are done. Resting for a couple hours then pulling and reheating.
Manny69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I wouldn't worry about it at all, pull them when they are done. Store them in a cooler with towels in it.

You may have some that aren't ready at 5 so you may be glad they staggered themselves out.

If you store them in a cooler with some towels you probably won't need to reheat them.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Tarpon65
On the road to being a farker

What size are these butts and what temp are you cooking? It seems it always take me close to 2 hours per pound cooked at around 225.
Tarpon65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
I wouldn't worry about it at all, pull them when they are done. Store them in a cooler with towels in it.

You may have some that aren't ready at 5 so you may be glad they staggered themselves out.

If you store them in a cooler with some towels you probably won't need to reheat them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said! If as it's getting closer to 5 you see some are still not on track to be ready, you could wrap them in foil and put them back on the cooker....that will speed them along a little.

The ones that have hit the doneness you want should keep for at least 4-6 hours wrapped in foil and then towells or newspapers in a cooler
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just because it's 183 degrees doesn't mean it's done. It seems strange a pork butt could get to that temp in only about 5 hours. Does the probe slide in like butter? Or is there still some resistance.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote