MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
BBQ Yankee
Found some matches.

Default Pork Shoulder? easy

Fellow Brethren I just bought my first Pork Shoulder and I'm trying to decide what I should do with it? Suggestions? I'm using a WSM.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Rub it with your favorite rub and cook it at 250 - 275 until you can twist the bone out. And use your diffuser and some hickory for smoke.

That's about it. You will have great BBQ shoulder.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Apply your rub, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Start your WSM minion method at 250 degrees. Smoke until internal is about 180 degrees which should take around 6-8 hours then wrap tighly in foil with some apple juice. Cooke until 195 then check for doneness by pulling on the bone. It should come right out. Enjoy !!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
BBQ Yankee
Found some matches.

Thanks! should I toss it BBQ sauce or leave it alone?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

I always serve pulled pork sammies with a vinegar base sauce on the side. The meat should speak for itself !!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
mrice2311
Got Wood.

I agree. A good smoked shoulder won't need any sauce but it's nice to have available on the side. As long as you cook it low and slow it will come out great.
Team: Firehouse Pantry Smokin' Hot BBQ
[URL="http://store.firehousepantrystore.com/bbq--grilling--smoking.html"]Firehouse Pantry[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2]New Braunfels Black Diamond
Big Baby Double Barrel Smoker
Chargriller Offset
[/SIZE][/B]
mrice2311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I inject with 2 cups apple juice, 1/4 cup of my rub, 1/8 cup salt... put in a ziplock for a few hours, apply dry rub, smoke with cherry/hickory (70%/30% mix)... foil around 180* pull from smoker around 200*, let rest for an hour or so... the bone will let you know when it's ready... pull/slice or chunk when ready. I only use a minimal amount of sauce.. the meat/smoke should speak for itself!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
KSims1868
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain P.J. View Post
I inject with 2 cups apple juice, 1/4 cup of my rub, 1/8 cup salt... put in a ziplock for a few hours, apply dry rub, smoke with cherry/hickory (70%/30% mix)... foil around 180* pull from smoker around 200*, let rest for an hour or so... the bone will let you know when it's ready... pull/slice or chunk when ready. I only use a minimal amount of sauce.. the meat/smoke should speak for itself!!
This is also what I do with pork shoulder...except I don't foil it.
Pull it at 200* internal temp and then wrap in foil (and towels). Place in a cooler to rest for 1 to 2 hours.
Then pull it and eat it. I don't use sauce, but I have some on the side for guests.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
MechMedic130
Found some matches.

I brine mine in Apple Cider/Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt, Brown Sugar and Water for 24 hours, then rub it, hit it with some Apple wood, then slow cook for about 20 hours or so or until it's about 200 degrees internal temp. Then FTC for another 2-3 hours.
MechMedic130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

I go the foil and inject route like some of the others have said.
Apple/peach juice with some salty liquids like soy and Worcestershire.

If you like your butts saucy after they come off the cooker and before the rest in the cooler, you can drain off the porky goodness and use a gravy separator to remove the fat. Mix in some of this juice after you pull it. Better than any sauce you can add IMHO.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Jester
Full Fledged Farker

Just did one this past Sunday. 7 pounds of goodness -- top secret rub, no sauce, no wrap, set my smoker at 230 / meat temp of 192 and 12.5 hours later happiness filled the house.

I agree with the above, mix up a nice vinegar based sauce and you'll be all set! Here is the recipe that I used:

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 gallons cider vinegar
• 2 1/2 cups hot sauce
• 5 tablespoons chilli pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
• 3 tablespoon sugar
• 2 cups water

Mix together in a container to pour over chopped barbecue to taste.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote