• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grassfed Brisket

THATGUY

Reaction score
So I am new to the forum and I just recently got my first smoker (it was an early father's day gift). This is was my first attempt at brisket with a smoker, as opposed to trying to smoke on my gas grill. It was a 5lb grassfed brisket, I had a rub on it for about 48 hours and I smoked it for 5 hours, it hit 160 then I foiled it and let it sit for 2 more hours, then I pulled it and let it rest in the cooler for several hours. All in all I was pretty happy with it, but it was a little dry. I have an ECB and used a full water pan, I also cooked it fat side down. Am I correct in thinking this might be an inherit risk using grass fed beef due to the lower fat content? Thanks and thanks again for all I have learned already. I am also including a photo of the beef loin I did, it was my first item in my new smoker!

Attachments

• IMG_3647_640x480.jpg
    IMG_3647_640x480.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3660_640x480.jpg
    IMG_3660_640x480.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 160
it looks like a brisket flat from the pic. i never had real success with that cut. always a dry cuz its too small and not enough fat. try a whole packer(much larger @ 9-14#'s), next time, it has the girth to keep itself moist. will take much longer though, unless you go high heat!

It looks tasty! Yes grass fed has less marbling...

Try pulling it around 195 next time for the brisket, you will have a more tender and moist piece of meat!

you cooked the brisket to medium... you need to cook it to 195+. Cooking it longer will make the meat MORE moist not less.

I suspect that Captain Jimmy is correct. It seems you may have not gotten it to the 195F-200f range. Flats are tirckier and if it was grass-fed and grass-finished, you are dealing with a very lean cut, even if the collagen renders, you still have a lower fat content. I use grass fed and finished for many things, but, brisket, I like some grain finishing for fat.

Back