Single Best BBQ Tip

Big_AL

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is the single best tip you can give to someone looking to improve his or her Q? I'm sure there are a lot of folks reading the forum this weekend (including me) who would like to learn a trick or two from the bbq enthusiasts here.

For me, I think it would be the brining process. My chicken and pork chops improved vastly when I learned how to brine. (I have leg quarters brining right now). :-D

Thanks to all the veterens out there and everyone have a safe, happy grilling/smoking weekend.

Practice!

Steph - you nailed it...

I'd also add that what I also think happens too much is that newer cooks will read five different methods, techniques etc. and then try to incorporate all of that to try an develop a mega technique that really doesn't work so well.

The more I cook, the more I have learned to take a step back and keep things much simplier rather than try to make things overly complicated.

Boy, the first four replies are pretty good ones.... I would have to say time management is my tip.

Give yourself plenty of time for selection of food, prep and to get a good fire going. Once your food is on the cooker, don't try to rush something that is cooking a little slower than usual, be sure to slow down something that looks like it's cooking a little faster than usual. Don't pick a definite sit down time, eat when everything is ready.... not when you are.

Don't run out of beer.......

Then sanitation. Nothing ruins a weekend cookout faster than sick guests.

my .02: master temperature

I'll second this. My BBQ has come a long ways since the ECB days and I attribute my failures to lack of temp control. Not only the fire but internal meat temps as well. Now that I have a WSM and digital meat thermometer, no more disasters.

Working on brining perfection now.

Bartstop

Learn your pit...:becky: When you can control your burn...you can cook anything just the way you want it...:cool:

Temp control of your cooker and the product being cooked. All the marinades,sauces and dry rubs are useless if your food is under or overcooked.

All good advice.
I would add, cook to your tastes. If you like it and are happy with it, that's what matters. Unless of course you are in competition or vending, but that's a different story.

temperature. And buy a thermapen.

Knowing when its DONE. Not relying just on internal temperature. As said many times before but worth repeating "It's Done When It's Done".

Learn your pit...:becky: When you can control your burn...you can cook anything just the way you want it...:cool:
This is a good one! If you don't know your pit and can't control your fire you're going nowhere fast!:thumb:

Back