Rib Soak

Capn Kev

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been working on a rib soak. I won't call it a brine, because I am not using the "brine" ratio of salt, but I do use enough to expedite some of the fluid delivery into the meat. My goal has been to create a 2-3 hour soak that doesn't leave my ribs "briny" and salty, yet leaves them full of fluid and flavor.

I am curious to know of others successes/failures in this area. I'm not looking for trade secrets, but any info is appreciated.

Kev

Cool concept. Look forward to hearing of your results!

I heard that the guy who sells ribs and chicken on the weekends soaks his ribs in apple cider vinegar. Not sure if its true or not, but thats the word on the street.

I have heard of chicken soaks before, never for ribs though. The chicken soak is a marinade essentially, with extra salt and vinegar based from what I understand. Never tried it for any meats.

ive used kosmo's pork injection as a marinade for ribs, and it worked pretty well

I've been working on a rib soak. I won't call it a brine, because I am not using the "brine" ratio of salt, but I do use enough to expedite some of the fluid delivery into the meat. My goal has been to create a 2-3 hour soak that doesn't leave my ribs "briny" and salty, yet leaves them full of fluid and flavor.

I am curious to know of others successes/failures in this area. I'm not looking for trade secrets, but any info is appreciated.

Kev

So this would be on the lighter end of a flavor brine? A liquid seasoning of sorts??.......

In another discussion, we were tossing around salt/water ratios and many thought less than 1/2 cup of salt per gallon was a minimum for brining. What is your ratio?

I have heard of chicken soaks before, never for ribs though. The chicken soak is a marinade essentially, with extra salt and vinegar based from what I understand. Never tried it for any meats.

My Granny would always soak chicken, game birds and rabbit in a light salt water that had some vinegar and/or lemon juice added. It was partially to remove some blood (especially if it was bruised from buckshot) and partially to give it a little flavor.

My Granny would always soak chicken, game birds and rabbit in a light salt water that had some vinegar and/or lemon juice added. It was partially to remove some blood (especially if it was bruised from buckshot) and partially to give it a little flavor.

My mom did the same with game - I just thought it was a step in the cooking process. Never knew it was for removing some of the blood.

If you're using ribs and any sort of vinegar in your "soak", whether it be white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Be very careful not to leave them "soaking" too long. I've soaked my ribs in apple cider vinegar before and it overpowered the entire slab. Vinegar is very stout and penetrates the meat quick. Good luck!!!

I have soaked ribs in apple juice overnight. Not sure how much salt I used, not more than about a half cup to be sure, some other spices too. Results were tasty, but not so much more than just with a good rub. I did not notice them being any more tender, and juicy is a word I do not think goes with pork ribs...

The last few times I've done ribs I've put them in the smoke naked, right out of the cryo. I rinse, dry and remove the membrane and put them in the smoke. I mix a solution of apple juice, evoo, rasberry vinagerette, worsey and lime juice, toss in a handfull of BBS's Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy Rub. I bring the solution to a boil and after every 45 minutes or so give the ribs a quick baste of the light bodied solution and a quick flip. After a total of two hours in the smoke I take the ribs out and apply a medium coat of rub and back in they go, turning once again after an hour until I get my pullback right. They have come out perfect each time. No burn marks because the sugars in the rub do not get a chance to burn black with only a couple hours in the smoke. The end result is a nicely spiced rib with just a hint of a fruity (rasberry vinagerette) flavor. Very Nice!

I have soaked ribs in apple juice overnight. Not sure how much salt I used, not more than about a half cup to be sure, some other spices too. Results were tasty, but not so much more than just with a good rub. I did not notice them being any more tender, and juicy is a word I do not think goes with pork ribs...

The last few times I've done ribs I've put them in the smoke naked, right out of the cryo. I rinse, dry and remove the membrane and put them in the smoke. I mix a solution of apple juice, evoo, rasberry vinagerette, worsey and lime juice, toss in a handfull of BBS's Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy Rub. I bring the solution to a boil and after every 45 minutes or so give the ribs a quick baste of the light bodied solution and a quick flip. After a total of two hours in the smoke I take the ribs out and apply a medium coat of rub and back in they go, turning once again after an hour until I get my pullback right. They have come out perfect each time. No burn marks because the sugars in the rub do not get a chance to burn black with only a couple hours in the smoke. The end result is a nicely spiced rib with just a hint of a fruity (rasberry vinagerette) flavor. Very Nice!

Now you got me interested in this.
This is the second time I have heard of this raspberry - vinagerette recipe on ribs , but not the process you described .Any other detail on cook would be appreciated.
----Now back to Capt Kev topic.
Look forward to hearing of your results Kevin

The summer grilling issue of cooks illustrated has a bit about brining/soaking ribs.

I used to soak BBs in apple cider but don't anymore. Never really noticed a difference.

I soak ribs in vinegar and water about 15 min seems to make membrane easy to remove.

Back