Desperados ... and Throwdown research!

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Throwdown category is "Food from a place you'd like to visit" so I thought it would be a great opportunity to do some research in ... Toronto(?) Well, actually, I had a wedding to go to. It's a bit of a drive there and back, but we did pass some places to visit next time.

IMG_5637.jpg

I had dinner already planned with relatives in Rochester, so we had to pass this one by. The next day, however, I'd already made a reservation at the famous "Desperados BBQ" located in the village of Angola NY, just south of Buffalo. Yes, it was a bit out of the way, but I'd drive a few hundred extra miles for some good BBQ! The food beckons here, so no sign is needed. Be careful. If your nose isn't working, you may pass right by. I'd recommend you make sure you have your foil hat on tight so that you can hone in on the signal.

IMG_5652.jpg

The proprietors made us feel right at home

IMG_5649.jpg

and gave us a tour of the pits

IMG_5639.jpg

and what about the food?

Well, I always get a combination plate so I can try as much as possible. My wife and eldest split the brisket plate and my youngest went for the soup. Now to tell you the truth, I like all kinds of BBQ, but the youngest members of my family are a bit more fussy. This time was quite different. The soup -- Buffalo wing(!) -- made a VERY good impression and it was unanimously declared delicious. The brisket was also very much to the liking of my eldest (phew!).

What did the adults like? Well, I'm always a bit partial to pulled pork and I'd have to say that this is the best pulled pork I've had. It had enough smokey flavor to satisfy me even without the sauce, which was also great. The ribs were tasty and meaty and cooked just right. They're Kansas City style, so I did take some sauce on them (I preferred the hickory and hot to the sweet). We were also treated to some soup samples, chili and desserts. The chili is a sweet style, which I prefer and my wife loved.

We did bring a friend incognito, my youngest's companion "Smokey"

IMG_5648.jpg

They also cooked a chicken for us to try, even though they don't usually serve them for lunch. We took it with us to Toronto and ate it for dinner. It was the best BBQ chicken I've had, since frequenting Big Ray's BBQ some 25 years ago in Tucson. I loved the flavor and the juiciness, and the skin was beautiful. I dislike fatty skin and this was rendered perfectly. Here it is with still an hour to cook.

IMG_5641.jpg

I think one of the best parts for the girls was the candy jar.

IMG_5651.jpg

Thank you Shelly and Cowboy Bill for your wonderful hospitality!

We continued our research in Toronto, sampling some typical Canadian fare:

IMG_5654-1.jpg

Somehow I don't think I'll be able to smoke this for the throwdown, but there was sure to be some great Canadian food at the wedding and we were not disappointed. To begin with we had some curried ravioli:

IMG_5676.jpg

This was delicious, but I think my youngest would prefer a bowl of that Buffalo wing soup:

IMG_5674.jpg

Dinner continued with a Brethren favorite, eggplant:

IMG_5681.jpg

OK, perhaps nothing to make for a throwdown, but it was great for wedding food.

One thing to note though. I've been to plenty of events, and always there is a vegetarian option. I mean if you don't eat meat, I can appreciate that and we'll offer you something else. Where was the reciprocity? Where was the carnivore option?

Looks like a load of good food. Good thing you stopped at Desperadoes, apparently Canadians are vegetarians? Eggplant is an excellent idea for a throw down.

Oh yeah!
Outstanding G.!
I love the pics...always makes me smile too see the girls again!
Thanks Bro' I hope the trip was worth it all!

Dang I'm hungry now!

See what all that unfettered liberalism did to those poor Canucks in Toronto? You have to go out of the country to eat BBQ, and get no meat at weddings.:crazy:

I always order the eggplant when trying a new Italian place. I figure if they can get that right...

Anyhoo, looks like you had some good "South of the border" Food!:wink:

Man I love eggplant like I love herpes!!! JK Looks like an awesome trip and I love the pic of your youngest not liking the ravioli!!

Awesome post! thanks for sharing..And pic of your youngest is priceless!!! :puke:

Great Pics. Eggplant? Im all for throwing it down and stomping it. Eeew. (clearly not a fan). Lovely chicken! thanks for sharing

Eggplant is an excellent idea for a throw down.

Great Pics. Eggplant? Im all for throwing it down and stomping it.

I kinda agree with Bob and Nick in a wierd way. My feelings on EggPlant are that if it is not thrown down, it will be thrown up...

Thanks for the pics, Looks like you had a great trip. If ya ever head to Tucson again, I'm about a hundred miles up the road.

Gore, thanks so much for going out of your way to visit ! We so enjoyed having you. I can now post a review on at least one of the beers you so graciously brought us...The Antwerp was outstanding....I'm not sure if I was standing after I drank it though, wasn't sure if it was cause I drank it for breakfast on an empty stomach or if the alcohol content was high, but whew, it sure tasted great.

Thanks all for the comments. I have nothing against eggplant, but nothing replaces meat.

Gore, thanks so much for going out of your way to visit ! We so enjoyed having you. I can now post a review on at least one of the beers you so graciously brought us...The Antwerp was outstanding....I'm not sure if I was standing after I drank it though, wasn't sure if it was cause I drank it for breakfast on an empty stomach or if the alcohol content was high, but whew, it sure tasted great.

Thanks Shelly, I believe the Antwerp is pushing 7%. It's my favorite, heck, it's everyone's favorite. I guess you could call that a breakfast beer, since the Scottish ale should be above 8% (for lunch, maybe) and the stout should be close to 10%. It's a little warm for that one though. I save those for snowy days.

We'll definitely look you up next time we pass that way and we'll tell our friends.

Bo, I haven't been to Tucson in a few years, but I'm filing that invite for later.

10% stout? Homebrew? Are you trying to sedate her?

Hmm, I'm glad I checked here first...just discovered there are only one scottish and one stout left.....I'm like what the heck Bill ? did you drink more of Gore's beer ? I thought we agreed on antwerp for breakfast and we'd get back to the stout and scottish another day......well guess what....after I went off to the office he had his stout and scottish without me....10% you say ? I think I"ll turn up the air conditioner and give it a try right this very minute !

Thanks all for the comments. I have nothing against eggplant, but nothing replaces meat.

and the stout should be close to 10%. It's a little warm for that one though. I save those for snowy days.
Horrors, horrors I say! Stout is wonderful in the evenings with a good maduro cigar.

Sorry Guerry, can't do that cigar thing.

Shelly, glad Bill enjoyed it.

Bob, I really prefer low-alcohol beer, but I like my Scottish ale a bit on the malty
side and usually add extra, and I don't know how to make a low-alcohol Imperial
Stout. That one was a bit heavy and not to everyone's liking. I prefer it that
way and I like it bitter, but it's not to everyone's taste. It does taste good
poured over warm brownies though. Guess I should've told Shelly that earlier.
I expect it's gone now. I hope she gets her orders straight.

"I have nothing against eggplant, but nothing replaces meat" How about a meatplant:razz: and since the topic switched, I'd say "Lovely day for a Guinness" Any day is..... room temperature hopefully...

"I have nothing against eggplant, but nothing replaces meat" How about a meatplant:razz: and since the topic switched, I'd say "Lovely day for a Guinness" Any day is..... room temperature hopefully...

Definitely agreed. I prefer my beer warm. The flavor is so much better, but I do keep beer in the fridge for guests. And yes, I have made the pilgrimage.

100_2407-1.jpg

Definitely agreed. I prefer my beer warm. The flavor is so much better, but I do keep beer in the fridge for guests. And yes, I have made the pilgrimage.

100_2407-1.jpg

Who are you and what did you do with (I)Gore?????:shock:

No fooling you Guerry, that was Photoshopped. Here's the original.

Guiness_Gore.jpg

I don't see a difference, oh, you shaved in the first one.

Back