MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Using a Guru and water?

I have noticed that when using my Guru Competitor with water in my Spicewine the Guru does not seem to act quit right but I don't notice anything odd when using the Maverick remote.

Anyone else experience this and does anyone have a solution other than not using water in the smoker to fix it?
Dave

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Mo-Dave

Ok I am just thinking out loud but what if I put the oven probe in something like a turkey oven bag, trimmed down and sealed. That should keep the moisture out and give me the ambient temp of the cooker or am I just wasting my time and a bag?
Dave

Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Jay and I used Jeff's last weekend at Pleasant Hill.....cleaned the temp probe off and attached to the center of the middle of the 3rd shelf from the bottom (Jeff has 4 shelves)...I stuck another probe (Polder) through a potato and put on the 3rd shelf. Temps were within 3-5* and the door temp was right there too. We did not use the meat probe with the guru.

I think the trick is learning how it works with the spicewine and be willing to make adjustments. Though I liked the covinence of the guru minding the pit temp, I still monitored every 2 hours, and it was a good thing I did.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Mo-Dave

I am guessing you had water in it, you did not say but thats about what I do only the last time I used water and it seemed to make the fan kick off and on erratically until I took the pan of water out and then it settled down. The Competitor is ok but I wish it had a digital readout, it would make it a lot easier to read.
Dave

Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, we had water in it....I didn't want to wake Jay up form his beauty sleep like what happened at the AR and cooking with it dry.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote