What container do you use to marinate your brisket in?

B

bigracksbbq

I keep reading to use "non-reactive" containers... I am injecting the briskey and want to let is rest overnight. I assume a sheet pan is reactive? What about a trash bag?

I get a big (food grade) plastic bag from the butcher when I pick my brisket up. I always pick it up Thursday, marinate overnight, rub Friday, smoke Saturday.

Plastic. Bag, bowl, bucket, barrel, whatever you want.

You just don't want to use anything that's aluminum or steel since marinades are generally very acidic. Food grade SST would work (hotel pans).

If you're using ingredients that say use non-reactive materials, you can use glass, steel, ceramic, etc. Just stay away from aluminum or copper as they are reactive. However, depending on what you're storing theh brisket in while it's marinating, you could line an aluminum pan with plastic wrap and probably get away with it.

I haven't had a problem letting my injected briskets sit in an aluminum chafer pan (inside a steel one so it doesn't collapse) but I don't think my injection is reactive.

edit: sorry for being redundant, others were answering at the same time as me!

The bathtub. Just kidding. I don't marinade a brisket. If it lacks fat I may inject for added moisture as well as flavor. I create a very heavy bark, and do not foil and mine come out good enough.

If you can find 'em, they make Glad bags in 2 & 3 gal. sizes that are perfect for larger cuts and that are FOOD SAFE, unlike most common trash bags (I think). Drop one of those into any container that will fit in your fridge and you've got spill containment too, right Mr. Poob?! :doh:

I use a plastic walmart container to apply rubs on my butts and brisket keeps it from going all over the place and goes in the dishwasher

If you do it a lot you can get those big polycarbonate storage containers from sams.

If you got one of those angel food cake tuperware things could turn it upside down. Put the brisket in there and then put the lid on.

Back