MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Gerry D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Country Style Ribs

How many pounds of country style ribs would I need (pre-cooked weight) for 40 people? Should I expect the same yield (approximately 50%) as if I were cooking a whole butt? I know they will cook a lot faster than a whole butt.
Gerry D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never put mine on the scale that I can recall. They were a longtime favorite of my father so I cooked them often while he was still with us. I don't think I ever lost 50%, based on the grate space available when I was pulling them. It may have been close at times though.

I will serve them just as they come out of the cooker though. If I'm pulling a butt, I will toss all of the fat remaining inside when I pull though.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
MJHuffDaddy
On the road to being a farker

I just did a small sized batch (from Costco) over the weekend, smoked with a couple of boneless shoulders, and I would say there was about a 30-35% loss between cooking and trimming... they were good and smokey!
MJHuffDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
LouCfur
Knows what a fatty is.

Since they are pretty much sliced butt I would think the yield would be about the same.