MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Default Finally built my UDS!!!

Yay... it's another "I built a UDS" thread... ;-)

I finally quit planning and started building, and got it done today. Here are some pics: (WOW... they're huge... sorry about that!)

The new unlined drum. The lid was pressed by the drum dealer the day before I bought it, and they left the gasket out for me and didn't put paint on it, which is good for me!

The charcoal basket. This was actually really fun to make... I got to dust off the welder, use my air-powered abrasive cutoff saw, etc... The mesh is 9-gauge 3/4" size. How did I bend it? I took a video of me doing it, and will update this caption with a link after I put it on YouTube.

A view inside the UDS

I mounted the turkey thermometer in a drilled-out 1/4-NPT pipe plug in the side of the drum. It simply slides out when I need to remove the charcoal basket.

Inside the drum, also showing the "wiggle rod" that I made from 3/16" zinc-plated rod. I welded it up by the handle too... I felt like such a rebel. ;-) I held my breath, don't worry...

Completed UDS. I still need to buy handles (Home Depot didn't have any stainless ones), and I actually painted the lid after I took this photo, so it's black now. I have a 6" long 2" pipe nipple to attach to the 2" bung hole (insert Beavis and Butthead laughing here). As for the inlets, even though people usually distribute them 120 degrees apart, I can't see a good reason for this. I figure that if a single 2" inlet works well, three inlets 45 degrees apart should work fine too. I plan on mounting the UDS to a side table structure, so I don't want to have to go behind it to play with inlet caps.

Gonna probably season it tomorrow!

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding Build!!! Now, get it dirty!!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
palmcoastbob
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

I like your thinking on the intakes. Let us know how it works out.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
mav
Knows what a fatty is.

nice build, getting ready to start my own soon, might do the inlets the same, waiting to hear how it works. Now time to get dirty!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

is that turkey therm mounted? If so, you are going to have a few problems like I did. I have to turn my basket sideways to get it out, which means I spill some. Cant get it out because the therm is blocking it. So, I took the therm out when I got my et73's. Also, my turkey therm worked pretty good until it got all smoked up and got some creosote on it...now it doesnt register like it should. Its about 75 degrees off from the et73's.

Just my experiences with the turkey therm...YMMV
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Finally built my UDS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker
is that turkey therm mounted? If so, you are going to have a few problems like I did. I have to turn my basket sideways to get it out, which means I spill some. Cant get it out because the therm is blocking it. So, I took the therm out when I got my et73's. Also, my turkey therm worked pretty good until it got all smoked up and got some creosote on it...now it doesnt register like it should. Its about 75 degrees off from the et73's.

Just my experiences with the turkey therm...YMMV
Thanks everyone! Glad you like it. I too think it looks too clean... Gonna dirty it really soon!

About the thermometer: it just slides into a hole drilled in the brass fitting, and easily slides right out whenever I need it out o the way. ;-). Thanks for the warning about accuracy... I'll be sure to keep it relatively clean, and I'll check it against boiling water from time to time. I'm going to pick up an ET73 too... I just like to have a sensor on there that can get wet, etc...

-r
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]

Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Just an FYI guys, if you get some of the spray Clorox Bleach in the bottle, it takes that gunky stuff right off the therms.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nice job! It's not Ugly yet! Go get it dirty!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice build Rodney, 1 thing though please make sure your photo's are not too large next time. I had to scroll to see them....
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Great build! now post up some pron!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I mounted the turkey thermometer in a drilled-out 1/4-NPT pipe plug in the side of the drum. It simply slides out when I need to remove the charcoal basket.
do you mind taking a picture of how you did this. i have been trying to find a good way to mount mine, as well as have the option to remove the thermo when i need to
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Shotgun smokers
Full Fledged Farker

That is a nice Build!
Shotgun smokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Bravo Rodney I'm subscribing to you thread...I have one drum waiting for burn-off, and Another one comming....It won't hurt to have two
peppasawce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

aNOTHER DRUM IS BORN!!!

You obviously read through the entire thread before embarking, CONGRATS!!!

Instead of drilling out the fitting for the thermo, just get a brass mpt x hose barb fitting in the appropriate size.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #15
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Alright... so in trying to replace the images in the original post (which I found out I can't edit AFTER I deleted the images that are inserted into the post), I basically screwed up the original post. Here it is with resized pics:

The new unlined drum. The lid was pressed by the drum dealer the day before I bought it, and they left the gasket out for me and didn't put paint on it, which is good for me!

The charcoal basket. This was actually really fun to make... I got to dust off the welder, use my air-powered abrasive cutoff saw, etc... The mesh is 9-gauge 3/4" size. How did I bend it? I took a video of me doing it, and will update this caption with a link after I put it on YouTube.

A view inside the UDS

Inside the drum, also showing the "wiggle rod" that I made from 3/16" zinc-plated rod. I welded it up by the handle too... I felt like such a rebel. ;-) I held my breath, don't worry...

Completed UDS. I still need to buy handles (Home Depot didn't have any stainless ones), and I actually painted the lid after I took this photo, so it's black now. I have a 6" long 2" pipe nipple to attach to the 2" bung hole (insert Beavis and Butthead laughing here). As for the inlets, even though people usually distribute them 120 degrees apart, I can't see a good reason for this. I figure that if a single 2" inlet works well, three inlets 45 degrees apart should work fine too. I plan on mounting the UDS to a side table structure, so I don't want to have to go behind it to play with inlet caps.

I also took a pic today with the painted lid, but didn't get a chance to season it yet.

-Rodney