MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Default use a heat diffuser/shield between the meat and the fire ?

Still wondering about using a heat diffuser in my uds to even temps and prevent charring on ribs.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053

Will that work to even out temperatures? how much more fuel do you use with one, than without on a long smoke lets say for a pork Butt?
dudz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
capri man
is One Chatty Farker

i do not see why that would not work fine. i use a large colander with no problems.
brinkman smoker
big azz upright smoker
really ugly UDS
kingsford kettle grill
weber smokey joe platnium
big gas grill (sorry!)
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dudz..........................;}-

I am using a pizza stone I got at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $10.Fits on the lower rack I installed(just in case) and works like a charm. Acts as a heat sink and helps even heat.
Just sayin'

Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

can you still do long smokes with one tho?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Sure you can. I didn't need one til the weather turned cold, but when I had to add more air to get my usual temps, the bottom of the meat was getting a little more crispy then desired. I added a rack just above the fire basket, and use a disposable pan with or without liquid.
Fuel use is up because of the cold weather and added air, but not a big increase.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

My diffuser is the cover to a 30 gallon drum. Drilled full of various sized holes. Sits right on top of the charcoal basket. Works great. Evens out temps, fat still gets to the fire, just not so much. More pros than cons. The one con is more fuel will be used. How much? Well, never did a log comparing the two techniques but I would say about 25% more fuel for a given cook with the diffuser. Just did a 9 hour cook yesterday with a half full charcoal basket, 13" wide x 11" tall, and there was still charcoal covering the bottom. Drum ran perfectly the whole time at right around 220* Here it is.

Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
mfdfyrecaptain
Knows what a fatty is.

At home depot they also have the 13" round grill skillet. Just cut the rivets off and add wire for hangers and you are good too go. Evened out temps very well.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I like the idea of the diffuser with a few holes in it, but I'd use something at least as big in diameter as your charcoal ring. I've used an empty brinkman charcoal pan in mine with good results....super ribs cooked low and slow, bone side down and never turned. I have cooked three racks of meat with pretty good results, but that was just leg quarters, and I'm positive that my spacing isn't quite right to get the top rack up to the same temp as my bottom rack. I'd really like it to be as even as with my little wsm. Anyway, my charcoal ring is 18", so the 18" Brinkman charcoal pan seems to work fine. Maybe I'll take a drill to it, though.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Perforated pizza pan from target. Works perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0386.jpg (88.6 KB, 571 views)

Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

I think I will use the round grill skillet from home depot....should i just place it on top of the basket or add bolts to hang it above...is there any difference?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

A diffuser works for many but if your charring food you have either a thermo problem of your grate is to close to your fire.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Don't know. Mine sits right on top of the charcoal basket. No holes to drill. Lazy mod. Put yours on bolts and let us know how it works for ya.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
A diffuser works for many but if your charring food you have either a thermo problem of your grate is to close to your fire.
I use the diffuser to cut down on the, to me , over the top smokey/greasy taste. Works, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the info in this thread. I expect that I will use a diffuser in the UDS that I'm building and was planning on using a pizza stone that I have. If that doesn't work out I will try a perforated pizza pan.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

I will go with perforated to allow more even heat/smoke and to allow some drippings to hit the fire.