Carlisle vs Cambro

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Mike (thenewguy) mentioned in another thread that he uses Carlisle food carriers instead of Cambros. I was doing some research and these things are about half the cost of a Cambro. For example this one looks similar to a Cambro UPC400:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/suffixitem/271PC300/RD.html

Can those of you who uses these offere any thoughts about quality? Of course I trust Mike - just throwing this out there so that I have something to think about other than snow :cool::roll:

Been looking at those too. Everything I have heard is positive.

They are probably equivalent as far as keeping food warm. I use a cambro, which appears to be the same size as the carlisle in your link. It only cost me 166.00 at RD.

I would go with whatever one is cheaper.

They are probably equivalent as far as keeping food warm. I use a cambro, which appears to be the same size as the carlisle in your link. It only cost me 166.00 at RD.

I would go with whatever one is cheaper.

You got a UPC400 for $166???? :eek: That's a great price!

Mike (thenewguy) mentioned in another thread that he uses Carlisle food carriers instead of Cambros. I was doing some research and these things are about half the cost of a Cambro. For example this one looks similar to a Cambro UPC400:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/suffixitem/271PC300/RD.html

Can those of you who uses these offere any thoughts about quality? Of course I trust Mike - just throwing this out there so that I have something to think about other than snow :cool::roll:

Monty, isn't a carlisle PC300 smaller than a Cambro UPC400?

Will this one hold 2 briskets and 2-4 whole butts? And what kind/size pans should I get?

Thanks everyone!

I have that Carlisle and am happy with it, but keep in mind I've only used it a few times.

I use 2 1/2" deep full pans for brisket and 4" deep 1/2 pans for butts. You can definitely fit 2 briskets and 2 butts, but I don't know about another rack of butts. If you put both briskets in 1 pan, you may be able to maneuver it. I'm sure others with more experience will provide better insight.

No complaints about our carlisles! I believe they fit 4 4" deep full restaurant pans. I could easily fit 2 8-9 lb butts and two packers in one.

We use Cambro,I don't know why such a price difference. but if you buy a cambro I'd recommend the heater option, kicked myself for not doing that many times..:rolleyes:

You can get all 2 1/2 pans and then use a foil pan to put the actual meat in. It cost a little but saves a lot at cleanup. For vending I can load 3 carlisle's with 12 4" pans and then have 12 more heating in the FE's. If I sell 24 pans in a day I figure I did pretty good. That's a 4-6k day anyway.

And I can store more than that in one fridge. New trailer 2 fridges and 1 freezer.

Monty - at comps if you put wrapped meat in it and seal the door you will seriously continue to cook butts and brisket. You won't like the results at turn-in.

I've got a pair of Cambros (400's) that have served me very well both as coolers for raw product and warmed for storage of finished product.

Monty - at comps if you put wrapped meat in it and seal the door you will seriously continue to cook butts and brisket. You won't like the results at turn-in.

Ford,

Is 'wrapped' the key word there? Would unwrapped meats fare better?

Back