Madison Ribberfest "Backyard" Comp. a few ?'s

K

kindollbbq

I am thinking of entering a BBQ Contest at Madison's Ribberfest. This would be my first contest. The only thing I am uncertain of is which I am going to enter. Either the KCBS or "Backyard."

I am unclear on a few things.

1.) What time did you start cooking?
2.) How many cookers do you use, and what kinds?
3.) What were the approximate turn in times?
4.) How do you make sure you get your bigger cuts of meat done(i.e. Brisket/Pork Butt)?This is the one I am having a hard time understanding. It just seems as though there is not adequate time to ge these larger cuts done
5.) At what temp do you cook your larger cuts of meat?

Like I said I like the idea of the "Backyard" competition, I just can't seem to get used to the fact that in order to get my larger cuts of meat done I have to cook them at 300 deg. Don't really like that.

Just curious as to what you guys did. Thanks.

Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:
My very first contest was Madison, back in 2004. I just dove into the KCBS right off the bat. If you think that this is a hobby that you want to do and get serious with it, go ahead and get into the KCBS side. If you want to go and have a good time and cook some meat, do the backyard. But I personally think you'll learn a lot more on the KCBS side.

I am beginning to think that is the way to go as well. I am just having a hard time feeling comfortable with the shortened cook time they allow you for the "Backyard" event. Thanks for the advice.

Brandon

Jump right into the KCBS. I'm not sure where exactly in Kentucky you are but there is a contest in Franklin in June that draws about half as many teams. Just throwing that out there since your debating between backyard or KCBS, a smaller sanctioned contest may be perfect for you.

I am beginning to think that is the way to go as well. I am just having a hard time feeling comfortable with the shortened cook time they allow you for the "Backyard" event. Thanks for the advice.

Brandon

I'll add too, that you've picked one hell of a great contest to start off at !!... :razz:

I'm not too familiar with that contest's format, but most contests allow for teams to setup and get cooking on Friday for a Saturday (usually around lunchtime) turn-in.

How long do you cook your brisket and pork shoulder? Most folks cook somewhere between 6-16 hours...and there should be plenty of time for that.

Seems the hot and fast method (relatively speaking) is gaining in popularity. A number of folks only cook their meat 4-8 hours. Which means they don't even crank their smokers up until after midnight.

Yeah the "Backyard" portion of Ribberfest is slightly abbreviated as compared to KCBS rules. It is my understanding that you show up at 6 a.m., set up your stuff, and turn ins are at 6 p.m. Basically leaving you about 10 hrs to cook your larger cuts. The way that I prefer to cook my larger cuts, at this point anyway, needs longer than that amount of time. Although I will say that I have never tried the hot and fast method.

I am thinking that the KCBS contest may be the way to go.

I just hope I am not getting over my head entering that caliber of a contest my first time out. I guess there is only one way to find out huh?

Brandon

Are you sure that you are cooking the larger cuts of meat in the backyard ? Most backyards are Ribs and Chicken or something like that... I would have the same concerns as you do on the larger cuts...

Yes, that is the same contest i started at last year and you do cook all four meats, but there is no weight limit on the size of the cuts like KCBS. It is a great contest and I am doing the Pro KCBS contest this year

Pic from Last year. 1st place Backyard Brisket
ribberfestcall.jpg

Go Pro 1st out and if you want a great Hamburger and cold azz beer go to shipleys bar right off the main drag in town.

Go Pro 1st out and if you want a great Hamburger and cold azz beer go to shipleys bar right off the main drag in town.

I second that !!!!.. I eat there every year.. this year went thurs, fri and sat. !!.. got the chili and the hamburger all three nights !!.. part of the tradition..

Back