Buck Board Bacon & Some Other Smoked Thingy

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I cured up a butt this week. De-boned it and decided to cut it in half and make BBB out of the large side and roll up the other flat piece to make some sort of prosciutto/bacony thing... We'll see how that one turns out. I plan on hanging it in the garage for a few weeks after smoking to allow it to dry, I seriously doubt that I will be able to give 300 days of aging like a traditional prosciutto... mainly because I could not wait that long! :biggrin: If anyone else has made similar goodies, I'd love to see pics and hear recipes for your success!

Pics follow thusly:

After curing for 5 days in:
1/2 the recommended TQ (way too salty for me @ 1 TBS per pound of meat)
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp garlic granuals
1 tsp homemade chipotle powder
1/2 tsp whole dried rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 TBS turbanado sugar
1 tsp smoked salt

IMG_0494Medium.jpg

Soaked in water for 18 hrs and then rubbed with crushed corriander, cracked pepper, homemade chipotle powder, garlic granuals and a tiny bit of turbanado sugar. I only applied this rub to the inside of the prosciutto thingy, nothing on the outside. I also rubbed it on the outside of the large 1/2 that will be BBB.

IMG_0511Medium.jpg

Hung in the garage for 24+ hrs to develop its pellicule and then rolled the prosciutto thingy and stuffed it into a mesh roast do-hicky. Pay attention folks, these are technical terms you'll want to know.

IMG_0515Medium.jpg

Chucked em' on the Chargiller at sub 100* temp, I want a cold smoke on em' since I plan on cooking the BBB later anyways and the prosciutto will/should dry out after smoking to preserve.

IMG_0519Medium.jpg

Since I was running cool on this smoke I figured I should prolly toss some provalone on to smoke as well. Propped the hood open to allow heat to escape and came back 30 min later to what ended up being this... this pic here is about an hour after putting the cheese on, I flipped them over and shuffled things around hoping to drop the temp hitting it but... not so much. Enjoy my failures. :icon_blush:

IMG_0521Medium.jpg

IMG_0520Medium.jpg

Some were salvageable.

IMG_0524Medium.jpg

Thanks for lookin'! I'll let you know how the BBB turns out tomorrow after it's had a night to rest in the fridge.

The prosciutto we'll have to wait a while on. Any tips on similar things you've tried are appreciated!

Sounds like an interesting experiment, looking forward to progress photos. That cheese still looks usable.

Sounds like an interesting experiment, looking forward to progress photos. That cheese still looks usable.

Oh believe me, the only part of that cheese being wasted is the part that was stuck to the screen! any stalagtites were promptly gobbled by the wife, kid and myself! :wink:

Here's a progress pic... 4 hours of smoke on the butt. grill temp up to 150* now and steady.

IMG_0526Medium.jpg

Back