THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
FEC owners - what's the realistic capacity of the FEC-100?

specifically:
How many butts can an FEC cook when an FEC does cook butts?

I sent an email out to a few co-workers earlier today and so far I have 60 lbs of pork sold. I figure that's cooking a dozen butts (based on my experiences with the BWS - 8 lb butt = about 5 lbs yield) - how much more room do I have without clogging it up? I don't want to fight the temp fight this weekend.

thanks,
Fellow part-time pellet head

I would go to Cookshack.com, look at your smokers specs.
I believe its broken down into pounds per full load they can handle.

If Cookshack lists its max anything like BWS does with its specs ... not what I'm looking for. :evil:

For example, BWS tells me I can cook 16 pork butts in my Competitor. That is accurate - I can, but it's not optimal. that's a lot of cold meat mass for that BWS smoker which hinders the air flow. Thus, I figured the good people of this forum who own FEC's will be able to provide real-life experiences and Nowledge so I have a great cook while sitting on my couch where it's warm. :lol:

capped the N as a tribute to Suh who should be the 2009 Heisman Winner

I'm sure someone who has loaded theirs will chime in, but I can see getting 4-6 butts per shelf without restricting airflow. Probably 4 shelves with enough vertical clearance for the butts would give you 16 - 24 butts.

I'm sure someone who has loaded theirs will chime in, but I can see getting 4-6 butts per shelf without restricting airflow. Probably 4 shelves with enough vertical clearance for the butts would give you 16 - 24 butts.

You must like small butts.

Figure 8 butts. 12 will get tight and restrict airflow. I can get two whole loins per shelf or 4 racks of baby back ribs, but if you load a 7 shelf system full like this, it is going to struggle. It has no airflow.

I've smoked 16 butts in the FEC100 several times. The last time was back in August and the total weight was 116 lbs. Aside from rotating the top and bottom shelf a few times the smoke goes just fine. I'll see if I can find a pic for proof. :-D

Edit: Here's a pic of the 16 butts in the FEC100.
4174967015_ce532879e4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I was hoping to hear 12 EASY (3 per rack), 16 is manageable with little effort (4 per), more than that - good luck.

I put some butts on the rack and 4 fit better on this rack than a BWS square rack ... but I don't know how the FEC will react to 100 lbs of meat.

I would say 9-12 without using the bottom shelf.

So I gather the bottom shelf cooks hotter? That would be different then the BWS - but I understand why.

I do 16 on a regular basis. 120 lbs average. Don't rotate. Bottom shelf is usually ready first. But small butts cook faster obviously. Cook at 250 or even 275. Make sure it's up to temp first.

Ribs - I use rib racks. Did 36 (4 cases) of full spares at one time. But the trick is the outside ones cook faster and the bottom shelf a lot faster. For large cooking I usually do ribs on top 2 shelves and butts on the bottom 2 and use 2 FE's. Makes a big difference in rib quality. Ribs can take up to 9 hours at 250 but some will be done after 7 or so. Takes a little work for large cooks.

I think 16 butts is the max. I got in 15 here - 3 on the bottom shelf. And now you will see why I've tagged this smoker FECotton.

Attachments

• PIC_0326.jpg
    PIC_0326.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 135
  • PIC_0324.jpg
    PIC_0324.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 134
Most butts I've ever done was 12, no problems. Marathon cook of 12 lb. turkeys (26 total), 8 at a time 2 per shelf and did have to rotate. Cooking 160 lb. chicken wings on Monday morning. Thank goodness for Frogmats and having 2 FECs!

Back