Most memorable competition moments of 2009...

G

GratefulSmoker

What are some of your most memorable moments at competitions this past year?

Stagecoach, CA. Sunday awards ceremony. The bbq community really showed their love for a loss of one of their own...

That will be with me for the rest of my life.

For me it was when Big T's won the GC at the BBQlossal. The look on Ryan's face was unbelievable, as was their fan club!

I would have loved to be at the Royal to see Boondoggle take the GC in the open division - but hearing about it was another highlight.

Then there was the guy across from us in Nevada who puked all over the front of himself while we were talking with him...

then theirs this

Attachments

• dcp_3355.jpg
    dcp_3355.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 383
The whole season had an awful lot to recommend it. We got to go back to a number of comps we really like, and went to some new ones we really liked too.

26 contests

7 GCs: Tempe AZ, Hesperia CA, the double GC (KCBS/IBCA) in one day at Stagecoach, Durango CO, Fairfield CA, Prescott AZ.

7 RGCs: Costa Mesa CA, Eagle CO, Vista CA, Fairfield CA, Salt Lake City UT, Lancaster CA, Tempe AZ.

And about the first minute of this.

I'll undoubtedly think of more things along the way, but one of the first that springs to mind is the birth of the Legend of "One Sock".

The whole season had an awful lot to recommend it. We got to go back to a number of comps we really like, and went to some new ones we really liked too.

26 contests

7 GCs: Tempe AZ, Hesperia CA, the double GC (KCBS/IBCA) in one day at Stagecoach, Durango CO, Fairfield CA, Prescott AZ.

7 RGCs: Costa Mesa CA, Eagle CO, Vista CA, Fairfield CA, Salt Lake City UT, Lancaster CA, Tempe AZ.

And about the first minute of this.

I'll undoubtedly think of more things along the way, but one of the first that springs to mind is the birth of the Legend of "One Sock".
Congrats on a most outstanding season.

Big T'z winning 3 in a row
Boondoggle and Plowboy wins at the Royal
A conversation with Walt and T of the Smokin Scottsman after the Royal invitational awards(it was quick but I won't forgot the feeling of pride we shared)
Getting a glimpse of the "big check" and figuring out that Buster Dog had won in South Dakota before the awards even started
Getting my 180 pin in Brisket in Albert Lea and dancing around like a school girl after

I could go on and on...its was a great year and I can't wait for 2010

Here are my Top 3:

1. Taking first place in Brisket at the Jack
2. Winning Hudson Valley Ribfest. It was the first Grand Championship and State Championship for us all. And we did it together. As a result, we were lucky enough to get the NY State Home State Draw for the Jack.
3. Organizing a contest, and hosting a Great Field of Competitors

It was quite a year. We started out by forming a new team, and hitting the road. The road was not always smooth or kind, and we pressed on through the triumphs and challenges. We learned a lot along the way, and were fortunate to spend time with old and new friends. Hard to believe it went by so fast.

For me, there were SO many great moments in 2009 related to barbeque...

Unveiling our whiskey barrel top grand prize at our contest we put on in Pleasant Hill.

Getting our first ever Ribs Championship in Richmond, MO (was the only category we'd never won).

Our 8 year old daughter getting 9th out of over 60 adults in the Wings contest at the GAB and getting to go up to get her ribbon. One of the organizers was sitting near me and looks over and says "Did she really cook them herself?" I proudly said "YEP!!!"

Our daughter winning both categories and getting a huge trophy for Grand Champion of the Kids Q at Sedalia, MO.

Getting a 1st in Chicken and a 2nd in Pork in the incredible field of championship teams at Great Bend, KS.

Getting to compete in the small town (Califoirnia, MO) where I grew up and seeing several classmates I hadn't seen since the end of 8th grade.

Getting to announce my candidacy for the BOD to many friends during a Friday night potluck at Harrisonville, MO.

The entire Blue Springs, MO contest.

Putting on a contest with my friends Jon and Clara Williams where I work as part of Senior Q Month.

Spending a weekend teaming up with Stan Hays, Lee Keith and Randy Robinett to cook a contest together even though we got it handed to us!

Getting to visit the Jack for the first time in my life. (now if only I could compete there someday...)

Last edited:
For me it was my son winning first place in both meats at an amatuer Rib & chicken contest and him being named GC. Against an all adult field. His rib recipe, but he stole my chicken recipe. He cooked & won but I still am in bragging mode. That is 2 amatuer contests he has done and has won them both.

- 6 GC's in the same season
- Royal Invitational
- Winning Burlington, KS for the second year in a row and going 12 for 12 for category calls those two years
- Winning El Dorado, KS the week after Burlington
- Winning Blue Springs, MO with 1st in Ribs and 1st for Hometown team
- Winning Big Green Egg Scramble, 3rd in Hog and RGC at Qlossal after catering for 2300 people over three days and being so damned tired I almost went home before the contest started
- Winning Butt to Butt in IL while Andy was about 1000 miles in central KS away winning Chest to Chest followed by Randy getting RGC in MO.
-Andy and I winning People's Choice with pork that was about an hour away from being done.
- Winning Ribs at Pleasant Hill after running out of pellets and then turbo cooking the ribs not on one, but two different trash cans loaned by KC Can Crew and 4 Men and a Pig
- Getting 5th place chicken as my first category entry of the year and standing next to TheSlabs.com, Pellet Envy, Munchin Hogs, and 4 Legs Up as the top 5 in Chicken. In the midwest at least, chicken cooks don't get much better than that. I was proud to be breathing the same air as the self proclaimed worst chicken cook ever.
- Selling 10,000 lbs of rub in our third year and getting all of the PM's and emails from cooks all over the country that come on Sunday.
- Getting 61 category calls this year and placing top 8 in 19 of 22 contests.

By all measures, it was an unbelievable year.

Oh, and I can't forget burning my chicken up with a grease fire at Washington, MO and getting called for 10th in chicken.

Todd, this was truly an amazing year for you! Congrats, buddy! However, you forgot about losing your drawers at Blue Springs! LOL!

Back