Wings...What Works Out?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just curious. What works best for ya all. Hot and fast or doing wings at a lower temp? We usually do wings at 300+ temps wandering what others do that gives that "OMG This is the Best I Ever Tasted." This isn't a rub question, but a cooking techniques question. It's a texture thing. Thanks brethren.

UI have a big stock pot, and one of those Bayou Classic burners. I bread some, and I dont bread half. I deep fry both and right out of the fryer I bathe in my sauce. Sauce is a hot tomato based sauce.

I love grilled wings, but I love deep fried even more. I let em air dry in the fridge so skin is nice and dry. Then into hot peaut oil and as soon as they come out they go into the seasoning.

I do them low and slow... hit them with the chicken rub, run them at about 225/250* for an hour or so, then boost the heat up to the 350* range to get a little crisp on them... I leave the sauce to the eater...

I do them low and slow... hit them with the chicken rub, run them at about 225/250* for an hour or so, then boost the heat up to the 350* range to get a little crisp on them... I leave the sauce to the eater...

Same, but I add a little hickory for some great flavor before Buffalo wing sauce.

I cook them around 250° for maybe an hour and a half or more, then crisp them up on the cooking rack in my firebox.

i have tried grilled (with the gasser- hot and fast) a few times.... tired with sauce before the grill.. then naked ones then grill... they just aren't wings to me - my husband liked them - sauce after the grill better...

mostly- I fry them.. I too bread some in just plain old flour with a lil salt and peper in it a very light coat .. my husband likes them better. for me cold out of the fridge no flour 10-12 minutes.. or til there done

I love hot and fast, then sauce as it as its finishing up to caramelize the sauce.

Hot and fast.

We call them our "30-20-10 wings", that made it easy for my 10 year old to learn to make them.

30 minutes at 350f indirect - flip
20 minutes, the toss in sauce of your choice
10 minutes to crisp them up.

To me, the crispy bite through skin is a big part of a good hot wing and when I try low and slow, I have a harder time getting that skin for wings. Just my preference.

I do 20 pounds at a shot low and slow.

Buy them frozen and put them into a clean cooler with my sauce for two days... On the smoker for about 60 to 90 minutes... I cryo-suck them 12 to a package for game days and to send to my daughter in college....

I've always done hot & fast to get that crisp finish. Gonna try something new next time.

Low and slow for 90 minutes then sauce with Crystal/20 Pepper Hot Sauce/Butter and crank up the heat another 20-30 minutes.

I pretty much do what Swibirun does, except I finish very hot if the skin isn't quite crisp.

I saw a show where the dude deep fried 'em, sauced 'em and then grilled 'em. I bet some low temp. smoke to get 'em started, then into the deep fry, then sauced, then back on the grill and sauced again would be awesome. the initial low temp smoke would make the fry fast and super-crisp, I'm bettin' ya.

Smoked and fried is on my to-do list, wings and ribs.

I have gotten that wow factor everytime I've made wings for anybody...even repeats. I marinate them overnight in canola oil (wtihstands hotter temps) and fresh cut onions and garlic with the spices you like. Grill them about 3-4 mins each side over direct heat then move them over indirect for about 30 more minutes. You'll know when to pull them off when they have that deep brown color. Man, they beat any fried wings any day of the week.

I use the Alton Brown method. He used an oven 425 indirect for 20...flip, and 20 more. Its even better in a ceramic grill with a little smoke though.:biggrin:

Back