simply marvelous rub - problem should I use it

paydabill

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok - way back in July I was having problem with Pork - Someone told me to try their rub - simply marvelous sweet and spicy. I order 2 bottles from the Great Lakes BBQ store.

Well, I decided to wait until the winter to change the recipe, and I thought I would practice on Sunday. I pulled a bottle out - and the vacum seal is broke. So, I pulled the second one. Same thing.

So, I did not use them. Please do not think I am bashing either the maker or the store. It is my fault I took this long to open them, so I am not contacting the store for replacements.

I am just wandering, should I use them. There are pretty big clumps, but I guess I could grind them.

I had the same problem with two bottles I bought from Great Lakes of the Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy, Those jars are self sealing, meaning the seal is in the lid and when screwed on the first time the seal stick to the jar lid, I figured they had granules on the jar lid that kept it from sticking. I have been using it with no problem yet, at least everybody is still alive!

They are ok, It is one of the reasons, I fired the previous company (clumping, poor seals, etc.) If you are really worried about it. I will send you what is damaged, no problem. Just pm me.

They are ok, It is one of the reasons, I fired the previous company (clumping, poor seals, etc.) If you are really worried about it. I will send you what is damaged, no problem. Just pm me.

Way to go Steph! That is a good faith offer you can't refuse! :-D

Sometimes those seals don't seal, but the packaged product isn't air tight anyway. I wouldn't have any issues useing it unless it was real-real old. Your gonna get clumping unless you use an anti-cakeing agent.

I'm sure the product is just fine.

Just my .02

Spice

Those are toxic, deadly, I tell ya. Get rid of them in a certified bio-hazard disposal facility. Luckily, I happen to have access to one. Send them IMMEDIATELY to me for proper, safe, and tasty, I mean, safe disposal.

Those are toxic, deadly, I tell ya. Get rid of them in a certified bio-hazard disposal facility. Luckily, I happen to have access to one. Send them IMMEDIATELY to me for proper, safe, and tasty, I mean, safe disposal.

Actually, I am a HAZMAT First Responder Operator...You need to get them to someone with proper training...that would be me.

Actually, I am a HAZMAT First Responder Operator...You need to get them to someone with proper training...that would be me.

No, no, you're over qualified and too important for this kind of thing. I'll sacrifice my time to handle it. You need to stand ready for more serious things.

No, no, you're over qualified and too important for this kind of thing. I'll sacrifice my time to handle it. You need to stand ready for more serious things.

Chambers, Shut Up and buy your own damn rub... LOL

Chambers, Shut Up and buy your own damn rub... LOL

How do you expect me to buy my own rub, I only work ONE day a week, ya know :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Speaking of that one day a week, when you getting your sorry butt down here? Don't tell me you're waiting to buy a new red carnation... :wink:

It appears the seals on all my bottles were bad and almost all the rub has evaporated. I'm going to need replacements...

both my jars had seals broken just shake and apply its all good

Pour out the contents into a micro safe bowl and break up the clumps.

Throw the bowl in the microwave and zap for 15 seconds. Remove and break up the clumps.

Repeat maybe one or two times.

I've never had a good sweet rub that I didnt have to do this. Gordon's Grub Rub and Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy have alot of similar characteristics, and I do this with both.

I just received another bottle and it was the same way, but I took out what I was going to use, zapped it, and it was fine.

Good stuff Steph!!!

Pour out the contents into a micro safe bowl and break up the clumps.

Throw the bowl in the microwave and zap for 15 seconds. Remove and break up the clumps.

Repeat maybe one or two times.

I've never had a good sweet rub that I didnt have to do this. Gordon's Grub Rub and Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy have alot of similar characteristics, and I do this with both.

I just received another bottle and it was the same way, but I took out what I was going to use, zapped it, and it was fine.

Good stuff Steph!!!

Good tip, Bill - I'm betting that will work on my pig candy mix also :-D.

Back