Can you smoke ribs in a cheapo grill?

Infamous Dave

Got Wood.
Reaction score
YES!

Today I smoked a rack of spareribs in my cheapo Piece of crap $29.00 walmart special Weber knock-off grill.

I have smoked on this grill before but it has always been chicken hind quarters while we are camping. I was fairly confident that I could maintain a good temp for 5 hours so I gave it a try.

I did have a hard time keeping the temps down today because there was a breeze plus usually when I do chicken while camping I am filling the grill with chicken parts as full as I could get it while today I was just doing 1 rack of spare ribs. I did keep it below 300 degrees though and the ribs were very good.

I used a rub recipe that I found on the net and I was very pleased. My family absolutely loved the ribs and the homemade BBQ sauce that I made.

I just thought I'd let everyone know that you don't need fancy or expensive equipment to turn out decent BBQ!

Attachments

• Smoking ribs 001.jpg
    Smoking ribs 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Smoking ribs 002.jpg
    Smoking ribs 002.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Smoking ribs 003.jpg
    Smoking ribs 003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 248
  • Smoking ribs 004.jpg
    Smoking ribs 004.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 251
Nicely done! Have you ever tried the firebrick method on that cooker? It creates a nice barrier between the hot and cold sides and you may also find you need less coals...

Nicely done! Have you ever tried the firebrick method on that cooker? It creates a nice barrier between the hot and cold sides and you may also find you need less coals...

That would probably work great, I've just never come across any fire bricks.

That would probably work great, I've just never come across any fire bricks.

I just use regular bricks. Here's what the setup looks like:

IMG_0058.jpg

Heck yes! I am glad to see I am not the only one that:

A) uses a cheap-O grill when I have to...

B) uses fire bricks/regular bricks!

Cheapo's Unite!

waiting to see cowgirls probably on a used truck wheel with chainlink fence and good enough to be in the fine dinning magazine

waiting to see cowgirls probably on a used truck wheel with chainlink fence and good enough to be in the fine dinning magazine

lol I use a tractor rim. (Thanks though. :))

Great looking ribs!!

Back