MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
dedwards
Got Wood.

Default How can this be?

I do not understand what happened. I Brined a 15 pound all natural, free range trukey for 14 hours. I put it on my smoker and set the temperature to 325 degrees. Based on the feedback, I expected the turkey to take 4 to 4 1/2 hours to cook. Two hours in and the breast and the thighs were just over 160 degrees! I had to pull it. Do you think I have a problem with my thermostat, (gas and wood smoker) or is it possible the Brining caused this bird to cook that quickly. The turkey was done two hours prior to Dinner and if anything was slightly over cooked. I was shocked. Thoughts from the experts....

Dennis
dedwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Brining does make it cook quicker in my opinion, but not in half the time. 2 hours is smokin fast for a 15 lb bird. I'd check your temp gauges. What kind of smoker?

Old 11-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bad timing at that temp. I cooked mine at 325*, a 22lb'er, and it took just over 3 hours. 4-4 1/2 hrs is way too long.....

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

This happened to us last year. Fresh never-frozen birds cook faster, brined birds cook faster. This year we planned on a two-hour cook, and it came in just to the tick.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

I stand corrected! Trust Shane and Diva! I guess I never realized how much quicker they cook. Mine today was a 14lb. bird, brined. It took 4-1/2 hrs. It wasn't a fresh bird though. I'm gonna get a fresh one next time and sleep later! :)

Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
dedwards
Got Wood.

Old Hickory Ultra Que. It's a gas smoker with an electronic thermostat. I used apple wood in the firebox.
dedwards is offline   Reply With Quote