2 Cold Smoker Questions

thepirate51

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Question #1: I purchased a generic oven thermostat from GE that I intend to wire into the circuit between the outlet and the heating element.

Where is the best place to mount the probe?

The smoker is set up like a big "lil Chief" smoker. Element on the bottom with a pan of wood chips sitting on it. An 8" hole in the bottom of the freezer lets smoke into a 4'x2'x2' smoke chamber, with a chimney on top.

Question #2: I would like to add some "j" hooks to the roof of the smoker to allow hanging meat or cheese. I could only find "Zinc" hooks at the home depot.

Will Zinc "j" hooks be okay? or do I need stainless steel? If I need stainless steel, does anyone know where to look?

Thanks,
Pirate

PS> I want to start smoking moose by month end, it's kill'in me to see it in the freezer.

Home Depot sells Stainless Steel "S" hooks and you could put a eye hook in the top and hanf your meat with the "S" hook.

oh lordy..here we go with the zinc debate again :)

personally at that low of temps..zinc shouldnt be a prob IMO.

Oh great... a newbie repeat post infraction.
:oops:
Fine, I'll spend and extra splitting wood blocks this weekend.

I woud say the probe should be near the top or next to the majority of the meat.
As far as the hooks are concerned, you should be ok. As long as zinc is not in the coals where it might get hot enough to burn off .It's ok...

Make up some shelf brakets from wood with v cutouts to hold dowel rods. This way you can hang more.

Mike

I would'nt be concerned about the zinc...my concern is how you plan on keeping the
temps under 90 F with an electric element...geez...even at this time of year, I gotta
build the fire (5-6 lit bricks R.O.) at the intake end of the BKSD.

Thanks Wallaby, I'm already on it and have a pair of 1x1's notched for (4) dowels.

Baitfish brings up a point of discussion. He is talking about keeping the temp below 90...I thought cold smoking meant keeping it below 200. That said I plan to use the thermostat to control the length of time the element is actually on. Am I missing something here?

Back