MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
mjs408
Found some matches.

Default Gas Grill Q's

I Know this is like asking about Rice Burner's on a Muscle Car forum, but my wife doesn't really like messing with coal' grills and doesn't care to learn. I'm in the market for a new gas grill and was wondering what you all have/think. What should I get. ANY input would be great.

Thanks
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Anything Weber. If you'll only be doing small stuff I have a Weber Q 100 and it is a great gas grill. If you need something bigger the Weber Q 300's are great also. If you have the money you can get the Weber Genesis series. Good luck and convince her charcoal is the way!

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Mjs, I'll agree to what Smokey Said..If your looking for something bigger, I have a "Charm-Glo" 3 inside burners and the side burner, Mostly stainless. had it for 4 years now, and still works like a charm...got it at lowes..it was $489. got it on end of summer clearance for $369. Also check on CL, if your not in a hurry. you might find a deal...
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
DeoreDX
Got Wood.

I have a Chargriller Duo and bought the optional side fire box.

3 burner gas grill
Charcoal grill
Smoker
The smoke box can be used as a small charcoal grill (use it all the time when cooking for just the wife and I to minimize charcoal needed)

Not my picture but I did steal it off the internet.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I understand the convenience of gassers and love mine. We use it almost everyday... veggies, steaks, fish, chicken breasts, appetizers. It helps to add some wood chunks in a smoker box for a bit of flavor.

I bought a Weber Genesis EP-310 (the "P" includes stainless cooking grids and stainless flavorizer bars). Doing some research, I found a coupon code for Rainbow Appliance (http://www.rainbowappliance.com/EP310-Genesis.html). After shipping, I paid $100 less than I would have for the standard model with porcelain grates from HD or lowes.

Its a great grill! It's very efficient and holds temp forever. It puts out even heat and I find it hard to burn something on it. I don't know why but even when I forget to check to the food, it comes out great!

Almost any brand of grill you buy, other than weber, will only last a few years. A weber will last 10 or more. If you pay $300 for a grill, you will likely need to replace it in 4 years or so. If you buy a quality weber, you get to enjoy a nice grill for much longer. In the end you will probably save money buying the weber after adding up replacement parts or replacing a grill every few years.

+1 for checking CL. You can get weber gassers for great deals on there too, especially now since people are moving more and its the end of summer.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Northwoods Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Someone has to do it, so I will play devil's advocate:

First: If you will be doing the grilling, she doesn't have to learn how to use charcoal.

Second: You should control your grilling destiny. You would never tell her what shoes she can or cannot buy.

Third: If she does have that much influence over your activities, get a Duo so that she can use the gas side and you can use the charcoal side.

Fourth: Charcoal rules and gassers drool. As you get better you will find that you use gas for convenience mostly or only, but hardly ever for maximum flavor. (Of course this is debatable, but not very).

Fifth: Good luck on your journey in grilling and Que. You've found a great forum filled with knowledgeable folks that will give you much to think about.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

I worked for Home Depot for 6 years...and built nearly every grill they sell.
Webber Grills are solid, durable, quality grills. They will last you a very
long time if you take care of them.
What's wrong with Webber Grills?
They are expensive...(because they are very good quality)
The burners are Front to Back...instead of Left to Right. This helps eliminate
cold areas....but; it makes it hard to cook by indirect heat.
Webbers are smaller and it's hard to fit a rack of Spare Ribs on them;
let alone two racks...unless you use a "Rib Rack" of some type.

"Char-Broil" brand grills are good quality as well....but; not quite as good of
quality as Webber. If you take care of the Char-Broil grill; it will last a long
time though.
IF it doesn't come with a cover..BUY one; to keep Snow and Rain off it
when it isn't in use...that will greatly prolong it's life.
Get one with at least 3 burners...this will give you greater temperature
control and; allow you to just use 1 burner if you want to cook by
"indirect heat"... no matter what you are cooking.

The Patent ran out on the "Infrared Grills" technology a year or so ago.
So everybody can make Infrafred grills now. I don't know much about
them as they are fairly new. They are supposed to eliminate "cold" areas
on the grill and give more even heat over the cooking area. It looks like
they do work quite well in that manner.
But; they will of course be more expensive.

Lowes, Home Depot, and other places should start marking down some
grills right now because Summer is pretty much over. So ....you can
find some good deals....but; the selection may be a bit thin.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an older Weber Genesis and it has done me well. I think the replacement is called the Weber Espirt - last I looked at one at Lowes, think it was $499.

I agree with previous posts about quality and ya get what ya pay for.

If you really have to get a gasser, think about a mini egg for those times you want something really, really good. Two of the questions on the Big Green Egg about where you learned about it - tasted food off one at a dealer, tasted food off it at a friends. Sort of indicates the food is pretty tasty.

The big trade off is ultra convenience vs. real bbq, IMO. Try to figure out what you will be cooking most of the time before you make a giant leap.
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

I was always a charcoal guy myself, but received a Brinkman Pro Series 7231 as a gift. Honestly, unless I'm smoking something or have buddies over and have plenty of time, I use the gas grill for my wife and I and it does just fine. It is well seasoned so really the flavor loss is kept to a minimum in my opinion. (I know you can't beat charcoal, but for 2 chicken breast it sure is convenient.) It does have two racks which is nice to keep the done pieces warm on or drip some bacon down on a leaner meat and the side burner to make sauces while grilling is nice too.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hard to beat a Weber, but, I would look at the idea of getting burners that go left to right, if you want to be able to smoke/low and slow on a gasser. Webers front to back burners make it tough to do.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
BBQ Grail

They make gas grills?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I had a Char Broil. it lasted 10 years without a cover on the back deck and I'm pretty sure I only refilled the tank once. Bought it when I got the house in '99. When I rolled it to the curb earlier this summer, I took the tank for the fryer and have already used it three times.

The gasser was great for cooking corn, veggies, keeping things warm while waiting for everything to come off the real grill. I mostly used it to cook burgers, and to store my spatula, tongs etc. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of it. It would have come in real handy for my UDS builds and now I'm looking for another.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Hard to beat a Weber, but, I would look at the idea of getting burners that go left to right, if you want to be able to smoke/low and slow on a gasser. Webers front to back burners make it tough to do.
Weber makes plenty of grills with burners that go left to right: http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=3&mid=12

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
landarc

I did not know that, all the ones I have used went front to back.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I did not know that, all the ones I have used went front to back.
This is the big one you see Steve Raichlen use on his PBS shows...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote