• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cookus interruptus?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This is kind of a general question. I like to cook at parties, but the logistics are tough since the kind of cooks we do tend to be very long. I was wondering if I could prep and start some meat (for example, some pork butts & chuck roasts) and cook them for a few hours and then pull them & let them cool entirely and then wrap them and refrigerate them and take them along to the event, and then cook them for say 3-4 hours at the event and get volunteers to dig in and pull the meat, which would be fresh and hot at that point.

I'm certain some of you must have tried this - how did it work out for you?

seattlepitboss

This is kind of a general question. I like to cook at parties, but the logistics are tough since the kind of cooks we do tend to be very long. I was wondering if I could prep and start some meat (for example, some pork butts & chuck roasts) and cook them for a few hours and then pull them & let them cool entirely and then wrap them and refrigerate them and take them along to the event, and then cook them for say 3-4 hours at the event and get volunteers to dig in and pull the meat, which would be fresh and hot at that point.

I'm certain some of you must have tried this - how did it work out for you?

seattlepitboss

I would fully cook to 180 for PB them double wrap in foil and put a towel or soft Blanket in cooler the close the cooler and transport that way! The will continue to cook in the cooler for awhile and will be piping hot 4 hours later. Trust me! Then have friends do the pulling.. The smell of the smoke alone with make then hungry. Hope this helps

What he said! Cooler or Cambro is the way to go. Gives you a 4-6 hour window for hot food, and everyone is always amazed.

Do the big stuff in advance/coolered and fire up the smoker for some appetizers and get some smoke rolling to get guests in the mood (foreplay as it were), you know - ABT's, Moinks, etc.

im with northwoods, just bring the grill for the "show" hell, even throw the butts back in for a bit just to make it look like they came out of the smoke

Pre cooking half way doesn't really save any time and tends to dry out the product as you have to cook it twice.

YEP, as mentioned above...Foiled and covered in a cooler with clean towels. I just did
it this last weekend and it all stayed really hot for 4-5 hours until I was set up on the other end. Fired the smoker up put the meat back on and let some smoke roll, everyone was impressed.

I know about cooking and then bringing in foil/towels/cooler. The timing doesn't work out, though. I buy a whole chuck roll and cut it in quarters and it often takes 12-14 hours to cook. If I were then to pack up everything and head off to a BBQ towing the smoker, I'd be way too tired to have any fun. I want to cook most of the way, then stop and pack up and sleep, and get up the next day with only a few hours of cooking left to do. No way to do this?

seattlepitboss

You will have to cook them to a food safe done temperature the first time. You can cook butts to 165 then wrap them up air tight and dunk in ice water for a while then refrigerate. You will still have to bring them up to 190 - 205 for the pulling. I don't see how this would save any time though.

Pre cooking half way doesn't really save any time and tends to dry out the product as you have to cook it twice.

The other problem is not knowing when or how long your plateau is going to be. I don't know about your guests, but eating on time (within a half hour or so) is a priority with mine.

I agree it is fun to get full "BBQ Cred" for finishing the product 'before their very eyes' and there is something to be said for showmanship, but I wouldn't worry about that. The real proof is the final product and your guests will be able to taste the effort you put into making an awesome meal.

IMO if timing and exhaustion are an issue, I would fully cook all large, potentially problematic cuts and re-heat along with fresh appetizers as mentioned above.

Northwoods, I tried something similar 1 time, and 1 time only. The meat managed to spoil. Didnt know it until we fired up that heat the 2nd time. OMG what a gawd-aweful smell. 1/2 cooked meat is very dangerous. Seriously, cook it entirely, then just use
the smoker at the end to warm it up....

JMHO

-The Dawg

Then cook ALL the way and just reheat.

That's what I do now. It works OK, but I never think the meat is quite as good as when it's first cooked.

I think maybe what I'll do is to cook the roasts until they're done, then let them cool down and then put them in hotel pans and foil them and refrigerate them whole. Then onsite I'll do ribs and sausage and leave room in the smoker to put the hotel pans with the roasts in and warm them up, then hand out latex gloves and get the guests to pull their own meat. NO NIBBLING. If I time it carefully, everything ought to be done and hot right when it's time to eat. I like to have a definite time to serve for sure.

You guys are awesome, saved me from disgracing myself. Thanks!

seattlepitboss

Back