1st Butt Smoke

mrwicks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals.... don't eat pork myself ( I know.....blasphemy ) ....wanna get into competing..... so with family and friends coming over for Labor day I tried my 1st butt smoke.....did 3, a 6 , 7 , and 8 #.....got nice bark results...pulled easily....but very difficult to remove from the smoker as they were falling apart... i dont mean stuck on the grill falling apart....but wobbly on the spatulas

Is it normal for the butt to fall apart that way ....pulled when temps where about 200-203 ... no foil .....dome temp was steady 240

Butt is supposed to fall apart, but IMO you left it on too long. I usually pull mine between 180 and 190, wrap it in foil, and let it rest in a cooler for at least 30 minutes before pulling. I've never measured it after wrapping, but I am told the temps will continue to rise if it is well insulated...

How was the texture, moisture and taste, another vote for seems like you overcooked em. If they were dry and mushy, that would be the sign for that.

maybe you pulled that 3lb'er off a little too late?

there was no 3# ... 3 butts 6,7,8 #

How was the texture, moisture and taste, another vote for seems like you overcooked em. If they were dry and mushy, that would be the sign for that.

didnt taste them but they didnt look dry at all ....and the peanut gallery said that they were moist and juicy..

Back