Possible UDS barrels

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've never really considered making a UDS...just happy with my Bandera and WSM.

Went to powerwash my Grandmother's garage so it can be painted before she sells the house. She's been emptying things out for quite a while. Walk in and had never seen before (probably since it was covered I'm sure) and wood plank table that has for it's legs 3 55gal drums. They look in impecable condition, although minus the lids.

Asked about taking them and she has no problem with it. Haven't grabbed them yet.

No idea what was in them, but they have to be at least 50 years old. Peeked in one and it looked to be bare on the inside, like it never had anything in it. Wouldn't surprise me as Grandpa had a way of getting ahold of things.

So I guess I'll grab them at some point. If I don't make a UDS I might as well make sure they find a good home here!

Guess I better brush up no the UDS thread!

congrats on the find. I never thought about making an UDS until I kept reading how great they are here. I got a barrel this summer and burned her out last month and have been ssssllllooooooowwwwwllllyyyyy working on her - doing it easy style as I can't weld. I'm just waiting on my neighbor to drop off my coal basket. It's been a fun little project.

I've been wanting to build a UDS myself but can't seem to find a drum that hasn't had chemicals in them. Found them online brand new for $85.00 with removable top and locking ring. May go this route when I actually get ready.

I've been wanting to build a UDS myself but can't seem to find a drum that hasn't had chemicals in them. Found them online brand new for $85.00 with removable top and locking ring. May go this route when I actually get ready.

Why are you looking for one that hasn't had chemicals in them? Depending on the chemical, drums can be used that stored chemicals - they just need to be burned out really well. My drum had industrial lubricant in it - burned it out twice (probably only needed one burn out, but wanted to be sure it was well cleaned).

What are in the drums you have found?

Back