New shelves and ruined ribs.(suggestions needed)

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Well over the weekend we visited my parents and home town friends. I cooked 6 racks of ribs 2 shoulders and a 14 lb brisket. Well I figured I would be tight on room so me and my Stepdad got out and he made me 2 new shelves and hangers for the reverse flow. The chamber is 26" in diameter. I figured it might be a tight squeeze. So after measuring with a brisket, we decided that 6" of clearance between the lower and upper shelves would be best. This left 4.5" of space between the top of the cooker and the upper grate level. Evidently with the reverse flow set up, on mine I just have the 6" opening on the end of the baffle plate, all that heat rises straight up and across the top shelves. So I got it fired up and tossed in the brisket and shoulders about 4am, 730 i tossed in the 6 racks of ribs, and made use of the upper racks. at the 3 hour mark the ends closest to the baffle opening on the upper shelf were already starting to blacken. I flipped em around and continued cooking. I did have several temp fluctuations through out the day due to partakin in way to many adult beverages,I also didnt bother to wrap them either. But I think the main problem was the temp difference between the upper and lower shelves which was about 40* on my maverick. Is there just not enough room in this cooker for dual shelves? Or is there something I can do to deflect the heat from coming straight up, like putting in another baffle over the opening to somewhat redirect it? also the Exhaust opening is level with the upper grates. Should I move it down to the lower grate level? Anyone with reverse flows have any ideas?
The brisket and shoulders turned out great. The ribs I wished I could have thrown them in the trash before anyone saw them.
Here are a few pics
This is the opening on the baffle.
100_0945.jpg

Here is a shot of the rack over the brisket and butts, next to the exhaust
P9060607.jpg

and here is the pic of the ribs closest to the baffle opening. u can see the ribs starting to blacken on the upper shelf. This shelf stops at the edge of the door to allow it to slide out so it is not sitting over the opening.
P9060606.jpg

i don't have a reverse flow.
Not an expert either.
would a water pan over the exhaust end sitting on the shelf work?
or a pan of beans cooking on that end to absorb some heat and deflect it?
i was thinking about a long narrow pan front to back, not sure what you call them
1/8 size or 1/4 hotel pan.
I have used a water pan/beans in my offset before to even out the temps.
If you use beans, add alot of water/moisture to the mix.
jon

Would a couple of firebricks (heatsink/deflector) on the second shelf help?

Edit: On the first picture... baffle opening... what is the overall opening width (left to right)?
On my Lang 48: 48" wide x 24" dia - with a 5" internal baffle opening.

Just a WAG: if the opening is a little on the narrow side... the heat/smoke flow (like a stronger stream) will hit your upper shelf first... verses a wider opening wont flow as fast.... hence the heat sink barriers

Last edited:
Back