About to buy 1 or the other... looking for pros/cons of the Stoker/Guru...

Digi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Everything I've read has me leaning towards the Stoker, but would like to have some real users weigh in on what they use and why.

so if you have one or the other, start braggin on your equipment... :biggrin:

I like my guru. It works well for me. I have friends who use a stoker as well. They love their equipment. Each seems to have their pros and cons but at the end of the day each has proven its ability to maintain a pit temp while monitoring a food temp. My advice would be to look at the bells and whistle and pick your favorite since the nuts and bolts are the same IMO.

I got the stoker for its ability to monitor multiple pits and food and also so that I could monitor it wirelessly while inside. It looks like the new guru cyber Q now allows you to do those things as well so take a look at both and see which has what you need.

I have and use both. The Stoker is the easiest to use with a PC if you want that(IMHO). The CyberQ from the Guru also works with a PC. The guru as a stand alone would be my preference. The Guru also has different size temp probes 6 8 or 10 foot long. The Stoker probes are 5 foot long approx.There is software (Stokerlog and Stoker Timers) for the Stoker, both free. Which add to the Stoker.Both Stoker and Guru work well.I do use my Stokers the most. I like the PC stuff

Stoker here.
I got it for the wireless abilities. But I am finding that stoker is a lot more liberal with its software. Hence the stoker log and stoker timer programs. They have also provided free updates when they have come out.

My guru runs solid with no glitches...

no stoker experience.

Hell, get both! You can't go wrong, either way, unless you get another pit, then you need to get another Guru. Unless you buy the cyberQ, unless you run 3 pits, then you are screwed, unless you bought the Stoker.

But I have a Stoker. I love it. I run 1 or 2 or 3 pits at a time, pretty easy to use. The Guru, for one pit is by far the easiest. Just plug it in and go. But it only does one pit.

well... i bought the stoker... should be here tuesday or wednesday... :biggrin:

he said everything was good to go, and was going to ship it out on monday...

That's funny...I heard the same thing. A week later I called and found out it hadn't shipped yet.
Not saying it won't ship, just saying don't sit by the mail box waiting.
Great guy, great product but he does have a reputation. :lol:

I have used both and have a stoker in the works running 2 smokers with 2 pit probes and 4 or 6 meat probes and logging it on the net and controlling it from the itouch is kool ... cuzz if you are looking you are not cooking lol have not used the next gen ... guru looks good but im sold on stoker johns a great guy

"Great guy, great product but he does have a reputation. :lol:"

How bad is the rep? I have been trying to talk to them by email and phone for two weeks to order a stoker. I can't get a response. Should I give up and go guru?

"Great guy, great product but he does have a reputation. :lol:"

How bad is the rep? I have been trying to talk to them by email and phone for two weeks to order a stoker. I can't get a response. Should I give up and go guru?

No don't let that statement sway your decision. John is a one man operation.
He is very busy trying to keep up with the demands of a great product.
That is why we always bag on him for being hard to find sometimes.
Always call him and forget email. Remember his hours are California time.
I've only had to call him twice but never had a problem getting through.
Keep trying until he answers may be better than leaving messages.

Back