MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Default Seperating Brisket

Hey guys, I've read threads that say that you are not allowed to split a turn-in meat during cooking and then continue on with both portions of meat. Is it ok to split the brisket before hand and cook the flat and point sepearately? I know that many teams do that, but I just wanted to make sure that it's legal. Also, would I have any trouble getting throught the meat inspection with the point and flat seperated? Thanks for any help. Pete G.
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

im pretty sure you can do as you please with brisket. Pork butts may not be seperated or halved. Brisket can be point, flat, whatever ud like.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Trainwreck
Full Fledged Farker

Pork would be the only one you can not split or seperate and continue on cooking in KCBS

Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Cool. Thanks for the help guys. Nice to here from you Andy.
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
Pork would be the only one you can not split or seperate and continue on cooking in KCBS

Can you clarify a little for me on this point. I have seen people pull sections of their butt, sauce them and return them to the cooker. Also there is a picnic and a butt. Thats already seperated. Then there is the boneless butt which can be considered seperated.

I must be missing something. Thanks for any clarification on what is meant by splitting or sperating the pork.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

splitting would be making it less then 5 pounds for instance, removing the money muscle and returning the rest of the butt to the cooker for pulled. I spoke with many reps and they told me you can sauce your meat before boxing and return to the cooker to reheat. That is not cooking, that is heating up.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

So it is considered illegal to remove the money muscle and return the rest of the butt to the cooker? I have known teams to remove the money muscle, the dipstick and some other fat laden portions, sauce them and return them to the cooker while returning the other parts of the butt for a longer cook for chopped and pulled. I was thinking of trying this but won't if its actually against the rules.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
So it is considered illegal to remove the money muscle and return the rest of the butt to the cooker? I have known teams to remove the money muscle, the dipstick and some other fat laden portions, sauce them and return them to the cooker while returning the other parts of the butt for a longer cook for chopped and pulled. I was thinking of trying this but won't if its actually against the rules.
What you are explaining is completely illegal according to my interp of the rule. You cannot return the butt for longer cooking after taking done parts off.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
What you are explaining is completely illegal according to my interp of the rule. You cannot return the butt for longer cooking after taking done parts off.
I agree... What OC was talking about was re-heating not initial cooking.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
VGuilford
is Blowin Smoke!

Can you cook 2 butts pull one for slicing and leave the other for pulling?
www.moocowbbq.com
KCBS CBJ
Texas Smoker
Oklahoma Joe Original
Vermont Castings Gasser
Turkey fryer
Little Smokey Joe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MoFo Chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VGuilford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGuilford View Post
Can you cook 2 butts pull one for slicing and leave the other for pulling?
Yes you can. Back to the brisket. I do not seperate at all ever. Not even for slicing, you risk the loss of too many juices.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
splitting would be making it less then 5 pounds for instance, removing the money muscle and returning the rest of the butt to the cooker for pulled. I spoke with many reps and they told me you can sauce your meat before boxing and return to the cooker to reheat. That is not cooking, that is heating up.
I have heard exactly the opposite that once it is parted / pulled / sliced, it can not go back on the cooker for any reason even to reheat. Can we get a definitive answer from KCBS on this?
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Yes you can. Back to the brisket. I do not seperate at all ever. Not even for slicing, you risk the loss of too many juices.
Funny, I do the opposit... I ALWAYS split mine before I start the cook and have not had a dry brisket in the last 15 years...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Regarding the pork reheating, here's a lengthy thread addressing the topic: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45459

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
Regarding the pork reheating, here's a lengthy thread addressing the topic: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45459
It really doesn't address the reheating at all, mostly the parting and 5lb issues.

Question: Is it legal to pull / slice / chunck your pork (When done), then reheat in your cooker for nice hot turn in?
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote