Bad Q - I'm venting

Cooter

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've always been one to say the bad Q is better than no Q, until yesterday...

My brother in law had the entire family over for BBQ. He proudly stated the he had been cooking since 6:15am. I'm thinking "It's almost noon, what's for lunch." Since the brisket won't be ready for hours.

Lo, and behold, he pulled the brisket out -- sliced and ready to serve. It had already had time to cool, so it had been off the fire for some time. I'm guessing (cause he won't give me his secrets) that the total time on the grill was maybe 4 hours.

Needless to say the meat was horrid, tough, and flavorless. After his first bite he said, "Now, that's good BBQ, I'd put it against any restaurant's BBQ."

Not all was lost, at least his homemade sauce had good color, no flavor, but good color.

OUCH!

Thanks for letting me vent, it's no use trying to educate him, so I just choked it down and grinned. :icon_bugeyed

Maybe you can get him to join this site for a better understanding of what real brisket is supposed to taste like.

Last edited:
I feel your pain Cooter
Other than your BIL, did anyone else think it was worth eating??

Simple cure for that is to have a throwdown and put him in his place!

Needless to say the meat was horrid, tough, and flavorless. After his first bite he said, "Now, that's good BBQ, I'd put it against any restaurant's BBQ."

If he thought that was good, wonder how bad the BBQ restaurants stuff is then. :icon_smil

Tell him to join this site and lend some of his "expertise".

Sounds like it's time to have the family over for a BBQ....

I can remember my first brisket cook. I was a highly experienced "Santa Maria Style" cook living in Santa Maria California. People from far and wide spoke highly of ol, Wagon Cook's tri-tip. We were feeding about 300 people at the ranch and went to buy meat---My Gawd brisket was 99 cents per pound, and I had actually sampled some pretty good brisket while in Texas---so brisket it was. I treated the brisket exactly the same as tri tip and grilled it on an open pit-"Santa Maria Style"

I do not need to tell you how bad the brisket was. That experience caused me to actually ask questions and read about cooking brisket. We can all learn something every time we cook. There is hope for your BIL.

I agree with LMAJ...I would invite him over to your place for a bbq and serve him some of YOUR brisket...then you can sit back and quietly enjoy the look on his face...:p

Send him to enter The Ohio Vet Cookoff in Kettering Ohio on July 10th and 11th I need all the help I can get. i know I wont be DAL

I feel ya! My brother in law the "caterer" cooked Boston Butts for a party on wednesday. He cook them a 300 for 4 hours then chopped the piss out of it and called BBQ. It kinda tasted like hose water!

Maybe we could get the two of them together...LOL

I'll pray for him to soon see the BBQ light :)

Back