MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
westernhunter
Got Wood.

Default Help on choosing a "Q"

I am very new to the board here and a fairly new BBQ'er......been grilling for years, but new to "REAL" BBQ.

Currently I use my Weber kettle, MES electric, and Bradly to turn out pretty good Q. However, I am ready to take it to the next level and am in the market for a bigger rig.....big enough to feed about 60 people.

I am very active, and we will be having kids soon, so I think that I am ruling out the stick burners since I will not have the time to babysit the fire. (Although I have always wanted a big offset stick burner. )

I really want something that can go long periods without too much attention. With that in mind I am looking at a pellet pooper or a gravity fed Q that is Stoked or Guru'ed. The FEC 100 really appeals to me but in reading the posts I am seeing that you don't get a good smokey flavor with it. I know very little about the gravity feds like Stumps or Superior, and have been looking for some diagram showing how the charcoal gets to the fire without the hopper catching on fire as well! I also am curious if the vertical smokers like Backwoods or Spicewine can give you really long cooks that I am looking for. Price will also be a big issue since I am on a tight budget.

Any input would really be appreciated. I am finishing my residency TODAY and my fiance has given me the go-ahead to get a smoker. I will probably get a used smoker to save money since I: (1) need to relocate across the state, (2) am looking for work at a practice, (3) also starting my own practice, AND (4) need to start paying close to a half mil in student loans!!!

Thanks for any input guys!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
StayDown

I know many people that cook witht he Stumps cookers and are very happy with them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Cecil
Knows what a fatty is.

Look into making your own UDS. It's a set it and forget it smoker.

Staydown has a picture of one is his avitar. ^^^^^^
=============================

NB Bandera
UDS
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Feeding 60 people....is that just pulled pork, that's about 15 pounds of cooked pork, or 30 ish raw, which is about 4 butts. IN my opinion, to start out, for ease, I'd go look at the weber smokey mountain. Maybe even the 22inch. It's a step up from where you are, easy to transport, turns out great Q, and runs it's self on minion method for 14 plus hours. It also works great for one butt and some taters. Cheap too. What did you do your residency in? I'm in Peds here in Kingston NY, but trained in family medicien as a nurse practitioner. Congrats on getting through, getting married and most improtantly, getting a BBQ!!! Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

What's your budget?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Scraps
Found some matches.

Budget is a great place to start but if you already are mentioning the FEC100 then you know it will set you back$3,500 or so. I just went through a similar decision process. I first went with a Traeger last year but we couldnot keep the temperature swings under control. Yes I am a little finicky but 40-60 degrees each way was not an acceptable solution. However, I really did like the pellet solution with a tempreature control.

I bought the FEC and have smoked on it only twice so far (just got it on Friday but was away for the weekend.) With that said, I seasoned it and then put a butt on. The temperature swing was a 10-20 degrees when first seasonging at 300. Then dropped it down to 220 and put the butt in the smoker. For the next 12 hours the temperature swings went down in the first three hours to less than 6 degrees each direction. By the end it was rock solid to within 2 degrees. The butt pulled great.

As for smoke flavor, there was plenty. One thing I have heard is that it is hard to do is oversmoke in an FEC100. Before you decide go to a show and try the Q that has come out of an FEC. What is great smoke flavor for one is not enough or too much for someone else.

For me it appears to be the right decision. Good luck on your choice. It is all good.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Doc,
You listed some good smokers there, I think you'd be happy with any of the brands mentioned. Each have pros and maybe a con or two - but the pros definitely win out.

Based on your post, I think you'd be good with any of them and with your needs/wants you don't need to be brand conscious but maybe price conscious.

Start checking out craigslist in your local areas to see if anyone is selling those brands you mention or and the brands that others have mentioned (WSM) or if you can build a UDS, they seem to be great proven smokers at a very low cost.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I just went through this process except my budget was a bit smaller than what yours appears. I went with the Stumps Baby which is too small for what you're wanting but my decision was based off the great reviews I'd read about gravity feed smokers and actually watching one do it's thing. I currently have a backwoods and it puts out great Q and is a fine product but I grew tired of messing with the water.

Backwoods and Stumps are VERY VERY popular smokers so you can't go wrong with either one. It seems these UDS units are very popular here on this board and from what I've read it's because you get a lot of bang for your buck. It's relatively cheap (compared to buying a stumps/backwoods) and holds heat very well. I know there are downsides to the UDS's but I haven't read many on here. My suggestions is to do A LOT of research and ask A LOT of questions. This board is a good place to start but do not limit it to this board. Good luck.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

If you are looking for a pellet cooker, without the big $ investment. Check out the Country smokers. I have been very happy with mine.
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

I've fed 60 people before with an 18.5" WSM and a Weber OTG. You might want to consider saving some $$$ and get 2 UDS's or 2 WSMs or maybe start with just one and go up from there. I know that this isn't a pellet option, but it certainly is a lot cheaper, especially if you got kids on the way and student loans...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Don't assume a pellet "set it and forget it" will produce the same quality of product as other smokers. Every smoker has it's own unique characteristics and habits as well as flavor profile. Start small, cheap and grow. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I love my Spicewine and with the Guru it can go 18 hours on one load of fuel...possibly longer since i normally finish a cook and have fuel unburned. It is a large however so the firebox on the medium and small may not last as long. I seem to remember someone else stating that their Spicewine went even longer...dare I say i remember 24-36 hours? Don't quote me but it is definitely efficient.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

A primo and a guru would work and only set you back about $1200. You can cook huge amounts of food on a Primo.
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoqualmiesmoker View Post
A primo and a guru would work and only set you back about $1200. You can cook huge amounts of food on a Primo.

Ok..what is a Primo? Never heard of that one

Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayDown View Post
Ok..what is a Primo? Never heard of that one
Its an oval ceramic cooker, bigger than the egg.

http://primogrill.com/
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote