Mexican on the Egg

yelonutz

is one Smokin' Farker
Too hot to cook in the house so I tried this on the Med BGE. Worked out great.

Took a bunch of red chilies, tore off the stems and shook out the seeds. Put them in a pot of boiling chicken stock and a little cumin. Take off the heat and let soak for 1/2 hour. Then put em in the blender then thru the strainer and set aside.
I ground up some of that .99 cent a lb pork shoulder and fried it with Taco seasoning. Then just alternated layers of Tortillas, onions, cheese, pork and sauce. This one had 3 layers.
Into the egg at 350-400 for 1 hour. Came out great and the wife wants me too cook outside all the time now.

NUTZ

Last edited:
did you tear the tortillaz or just layer them whole and also did you do a fast oil bath in some 350 degree oil just wondering cause im tryin that tonight with chicken

Made the red sauce with California dried red chilies. Throw in anchos for more of a smokey taste, a jap or two before going into the blender for more heat. My wife stacked the tortillas and cut them into fourths. I sprayed the pan with Pam. No oil at all. First layer was tortillas, straight side of the cut on the sides of the pan, rounded edges in the corners. Add sauce as you build layers. Next time I will try it with pulled pork. In the past I have added a drained can of corn and also olives. The sauce is so easy I don't think I will ever buy canned again.

NUTZ

No. We get 10-20 lbs when its on sale for .99 a lb. I grind it up and vac seal in 1 lb bags. I fried it up with some taco seasing mix, after all, it isn't BBQ :roll:

NUTZ

cool thats what i gathered from the pics and just threw mine on i only used ancho for my sauce and garlic and some salt and cumin my girl dont like spicy so i just eat mine with some whole japs out of the jar with it will be posting pics since its the same stuff ill just post here sice its also on an egg lol

DSC00853.jpg

Just by reading your title I had thought that a fellow Brethren farker had turned into a cannibal :eek:. Great looking Mexican there :lol:

Back