MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need help with roadside vendor menu!

OK. Really been thinking and planning on how to open up a BBQ roadside Vendor site. I have already discussed permits, hardships, and reasons for failure. This time I would like opinions on what to prepare for sale. I will try to have two spots. 1. is a parling lot corner with good traffic and businesses. The other is a tavern which has two type of crowds ( a during the day crowd of laborers, drinkers, and bikers: and an after 10pm crowd the hip-hop folks)

I was thinking start out with ribs at both places at noon and another ribs at 5:00pm.

maybe some turkey legs, or some pulled pork. what would be on your venue for your roadside menu just starting out?
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

IMHO - Serve quality items that you can "turn" quickly, that customers can walk away with, eat in the car, or take with them. Ribs are problematic this way. Quick, hot, tasty and priced right will get it done.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Do whats good and easy first pulled pork sammies, brisket sammies,pulled pork nachos are easy with little more add on and are a great bare food. I would have a chicken sammie also. Ribs are a pain but make them a once a week special or and order only item. Add on items as business increases and try to use what you are already cooking to make your other dishes such as puklled pork and brisket burritos. Good luck bud i have been were you are and a year later it is all coming together if you ever want to chat pm me.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I would probably run with brisket and pulled pork, less work and less chance for failure. Plus the customer can get a lot more bang for the buck. Them ribs can be a lot of work. Plus day laborers are probably not gonna spring for a $12-15 plate of ribs.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
oceanpigassassins
On the road to being a farker

Pulled pork,brisket and ribs are always a sure winner.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

pulled pork, brisket, chicken, and if you can fry something, do it, day laborers will always spring for chicken tenders and french fries. Burgers are always a quick hit even if they are made to order.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

Smokinit is right on track. Pulled Pork and Brisket Sammies are a great way to start. We run both sammies, bbq nacho, Hot links and beans. Something else to keep in mind is presentation and price. Give them a large sandwich for the price. We use a 4" bun with 4-5 oz of product. We were running our sammies at $6 with a larger bun and an 6-7oz product. They sold ok. I dropped them to $5 on a smaller bun which made the sammie look bigger and I'm selling 3x as many sammies to the same crowd.

As for ribs, they are a pain to vend IMO. Hard to eat on the go and you will go through alot more of your consumables (Napkins, boats and sauce) in the process. As the others have said, use the ribs and chicken for a Friday or Sat night special. People will plan for it. Hope this helps.
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
TWISTED PIG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I did a vending gig last month. Pulled pork outsold every thing, I also had chicken & ribs. I took the leftover chicken pulled it & made sammies, the sammies out did every thing on the menue.
TWISTED PIG is offline   Reply With Quote