Traeger or BGE? Need a grill - looking for advice!

snowpromod

Reaction score
Well, I almost burned down the house this weekend with the gas grill, bacon wrapped filets and the grease fire got a little out of hand, lol - the grill got so hot the valves melted where the knobs control the temperature. That is the bad news, the good news is I am in the market for a new grill! I have a Backwoods Party on order, so my question is based on grilling - which is a better choice, Traeger or XL BGE? I am sure it will get used for more than just grilling, but that will be its main function - no more gas for me! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

My buddy BeerGuy just got a Trager BBQ100 a month ago. Just going from his reports I would have to say go with the Egg. I would recommend the Large only because they are more popular and there seems to be more accessories for the Large model.

I would ask what your plans are for it... The Eggs are great, but for the money I think capacity is a little less than a comparable pellet grill. Are you worried about volume or just quality output? I really like both.

I'm a pellet guy, so know this going in.

If you are looking for a GRILL (i.e. steaks, burgers and dogs) and I have to choose between the two, I would suggest the egg. I LOVE my Traeger, but it is not that great a grill. It is tough to get it up to a high enough heat to really grill effectively. The egg will have no such challenges. But, heck, you can get a 22" kettle and grill well, so that might be a thought, too.

If you really want to go the pellet route, I'd STRONGLY suggest looking at the new FE grill. Has both direct and indirect cooking and from all I hear and see, does really well at both. Only down side is that it's not very large, so cooking area can be a challenge if you're grilling for a crowd.

Just my $.02.

I have had a steak cooked on the Traeger and it ain't that good of a grill and would never waste a steak like that again.
The Egg will get to 700 degrees in just a few minutes and it WILL sear a steak.
There ya go. That's just my opinion.

Open to options, the BGE seemed like the most popular ceramic . . . fire away with suggestions - from the couple replies it seems like the Traeger is not the best choice for grilling.

Just saw a video of the ceramic Grill Dome - looks interesting as well - I like the size/shape of the Primo Oval XL - to many choices!!

Just saw a video of the ceramic Grill Dome - looks interesting as well - I like the size/shape of the Primo Oval XL - to many choices!!

Was just watching that myself. I'm liking the Primo XL Oval !!!!

Well, I almost burned down the house this weekend with the gas grill, bacon wrapped filets and the grease fire got a little out of hand, lol - the grill got so hot the valves melted where the knobs control the temperature. That is the bad news, the good news is I am in the market for a new grill! I have a Backwoods Party on order, so my question is based on grilling - which is a better choice, Traeger or XL BGE? I am sure it will get used for more than just grilling, but that will be its main function - no more gas for me! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

im in the same spot, found it to be consistant work with a standard smoker and starting looking at the traeger, bge, kamado(is that right?)and a couple of electric smokers. for me holding a consistant temp is difficult on the nbbd or the cg.

Update on FE new Grill/smoker

From Pelletheads.com

"Update on the Pelletcooker. I will be in Canada on the 20th of April to finalize all the parts and inspect the production unit. It is scheduled to be produced the end of that week. It will be approximately 10 working days before it will be here in the KC warehouse. If anyone will be buying it through your Dansons dealers, it should hit their warehouse in MN shortly after that. I’m sorry that information has been slow but getting all the vendors up to speed on all the components has been quite the challenge. The pricing has been finalized. The powder coat Black unit will be $1895.00. The Stainless unit will be $2595.00. For shipments, the unit should go by UPS. The packaging has been designed for that purpose. It will come in two boxes, the main body will be in one box and the hood and base will be in another. I expect about a 30 min assembly time for the customer. We showed the unit at the HPBA show in Reno to many of Dansons dealers. The reception to all the features this product has was very exciting to see. The orders are really coming in for it. Those of you who are waiting to buy direct from us the shopping cart should be ready in the next couple of weeks. Thank you for showing interest in the Pelletcooker.

Sincerely,
Ed Maurin
Fast Eddy "

www.pelletcooker.com

Good input here... sounds like you are looking to grill... so the Country Smokers or the new FE Grill would be the way to go if you are looking at pellet machines. I'll have both at most contests with me this year, if you would like to see them in action.

My country smoker will get up to 550 but still not good for grilling, tried it when I first got it, just won't leave the nice grill marks on the food the same as direct heat, when I first got it was planning on getting rid of my gasser and the kettle, but still got 'em all.

But for smoking or roasting it can't be beat,

It looks like the new FE will get pretty hot and hopefully grill well - the ceramics still have some appeal, but it seems like with a good ceramic and cart/table I am getting close to the cost of the new FE. Hmmmm, any recommended retailers for the FE or buy it direct - site sponsors??

Back