An eggzcellent day

L

LakeLBJ

So I've been wanting a Big Green Egg for the last few years. We've been living in condos so I haven't even even thought about pulling the trigger. Last summer, we moved into a house. My birthday is this summer and I've been hinting to my wife that it might finally be the time to get one.

And guess what. I get home today and look out the back window and there, sitting next to my $35 weber clone, is a shiny green egg. It was a large and she found it through a friend of a friend for $300!! It's in great shape and even had a nest included. My birthday is two months away but my wife had to get it early because she didn't want me to miss out on the great Texas spring cooking weather...total surprise and I was not expecting it.

I called a few friends today and they are bringing over steaks tomorrow night! Any suggestions for cooking steaks? The fun begins!

So, a few quick questions. Would you guys recommend the factory BGE thermometer? I guess his original one broke and so it has some unknown unnamed thermometer sticking out of it, actually looks like a meat thermometer he stuck in the hole.

I'm going to a dealer tomorrow to pick up a plate setter and maybe a pizza stone. Anything else I should consider? It has the rain cap as well as the vented cap. Will be picking up lump as well and am planning on a slow smoke for this weekend.

I haven't posted but a few times here but I plan on bringing you guys some nice pron this summer.

51apns.jpg

Nice score for a gift! Check out BBQ Outfitters down there. They host the TX Eggfest next month.

Thoughtful Spouse... ya did good bruther.
Nice score on the BGE @ $300!
I'm looking for one like a one eyed dog in a meat market.
Ya don't see them often.

Weiser

So you have an AMAZING girl! & Now you have an AMAZING BBQ! I sell these things every day out in California & I would highly recommend the 3 Tier Grill extender. It is used with a plate setter & 2" fire ring extender. You can put 7 racks of Baby Back Ribs on the EGG with that thing. Part # 3Tier (used with parts: 2LFR & PSL)

Also - Get the freakin' pizza stone - easy & fast frozen pizza cooker for those lazy nights - wicked Tasty on those cheap pizzas

nice! you are going to love that egg. :biggrin:

get a thirdhand grate lifter:
click

and make sure to check the calibration of whatever thermometer you use in the dome. immerse the tip into boiling water and it should read 212 degrees.

She shoots, she scores......a great deal on an egg for hubby. Congrats! As Thillin suggested, you're learing curve will jump significantly by attending the austin eggfest at the Oasis. It' a great way to ask questions of veteran eggheads, watch cooking methods and eat plenty. t

Thanks guys, yeah, my wife is great. She likes to take Saturday road trips to sample area Q!

Just picked up a Plate Setter and some charcoal and some other things for this weekend.

Anybody have an extra BGE instructional DVD laying around?

Your wife is a definite keeper along with the BGE. Have a great time cooking with it.

Back