• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoking venison hams?

SCPossum

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Found a barrel today, cut the bottom holes, bought the hardware, made the basket, and burned it tonight. Burn did well. I got every bit of the paint off of the outside. Inside was not painted.

Going to drill the grill holes and get it ready to smoke. Question is: does anyone smoke deer hams on a UDS? If so, is there anything I need to watch out for?

:confused: That would be S. Carolinese for the part that runs from the loin to the rear hoof. I am wanting to try one on the UDS since I can never get the smoked-BBQ flavor in the oven. We do these over coals when we BBQ hogs each year in an outside brick pit.

In the south anything on the back end is ham there hog ham, deer ham, cow ham ,raabbit ham ,squirrel ham ,groundhog ham , we just like ham in the south

Put bacon on the venison so it won't dry out....marinade is good too.

i agree with cowgirl!! make up the old vinegar, lemon juice, pineapple juice, etc. marinade and mix quite a bit of oil in with it. mop it every time you think about it!!:biggrin:

When I lived in Missouri every year I had our butcher make a smoked ham from the deer I harvested.....good stuff

Last shoulder I smoked I mixed up a citrus brine and soaked it for a day. When I took it out I covered it with rub and wrapped in bacon to smoke. Turned out to be the best I have ever tasted.

Be careful or it will dry out and be tough. As others have said, cover with fat.

Another way is to split it and take out the bone. Replace the bone with italian sausage and tie back.

My favorite way would be to use a larding needle to put seasoned fat throughout the entire ham.

Back