MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Saulnier
Got Wood.

Default Anyone - HLSR (Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Cookoff)

Anyone cooking HLSR (Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Cookoff)

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What a great time! I got to cook it 2 years ago and what an experience. They do know how to do it big in Texas...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

WHat is the deal with that contest? I read in the rules that it is an invitational or go texan whatever that is/ DO the teams vend?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Scottie

It's basically individual parties. You can buy "entries".. So some of the bigger teams have 4 entries to the contest. I think the fees are huge to enter if you don't have the Go Texan or free ride. I know there is a waiting list.

To get into the parties, you need to have a ticket. You can't just walk aqround and enter private parties. They make these tents look like saloons, disco's, you name it... OK, maybe not disco, but what ever boot stomping you do down in Texas...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
WHat is the deal with that contest? I read in the rules that it is an invitational or go texan whatever that is/ DO the teams vend?
I describe it to people as a combination of MIM and Mardi Gras on steroids. The corporate parties rival those on the dark side at the Royal, at least, and in some cases take it to a new level. HLSR is exclusive, because it can be. Everybody and their brother wants to cook it at least once, if they are from Texas. Allegedly, you can buy your way in....but the price I've heard is steep (10k). I know somebody that hasn't been able to cook for two years, but continues to pick up the bills and send somebody to cook for him to preserve the spot.

Zilla and Texana recently won a qualifier that got them into HLSR, the Royal, and the draw for the Jack. I suspect if you asked them which one they were more excited about it would be HLSR.

Skip a trip to Florida and come down next year. I'll even buy you a hat. You just have to sleep in your own room

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I describe it to people as a combination of MIM and Mardi Gras on steroids. The corporate parties rival those on the dark side at the Royal, at least, and in some cases take it to a new level. HLSR is exclusive, because it can be. Everybody and their brother wants to cook it at least once, if they are from Texas. Allegedly, you can buy your way in....but the price I've heard is steep (10k). I know somebody that hasn't been able to cook for two years, but continues to pick up the bills and send somebody to cook for him to preserve the spot.

Zilla and Texana recently won a qualifier that got them into HLSR, the Royal, and the draw for the Jack. I suspect if you asked them which one they were more excited about it would be HLSR.

Skip a trip to Florida and come down next year. I'll even buy you a hat. You just have to sleep in your own room
Deal!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
OK, maybe not disco, but what ever boot stomping you do down in Texas...
I think those are called Honkey Tonks!
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Saulnier
Got Wood.

Teams do not vend. You either have an invitation to a private party only tent or you know someone at the tent that can get you in. There is a "public" tent for you to purchase BBQ if you don't have a connection to one of the private deals. This is the only cook-off that I do for this team. The Willis Group. They have sent about 4-5K invitations to their employees and customers for their tent only. We will serve food to probably 3-4K people in 3 days. It is a huge deal to be able to cook and compete in this event. Rules follow IBCA for the most part. We are taking about 120 Packer Briskets, 15 cases of Chicken Breast, 60 Cases of Sausage, 20 Cases of Potatoe Salid, and 9 cases of Cole Slaw. This company will spend about 40-50K to be a part of this event. We occupie 3 spaces toghether so we can cook 3 entries. One each for Brisket, Chicken, Spare Ribs. I was able to make the table 2 years ago and plced 7th out of 109 chiecken entries. BTW that chicken was cooked on a UDS in the beer can style over Sams Choice Briquets. (No I am not lieing about that) I will probably focus more on the brisket this year and let 2 of my other cooks handle the chicken and ribs. I have been working on a cabinet type smoker that will run like a UDS untill I get a charcoal chute built for it. If I get it far enough along to take fire I might bring it too.
Before you ask I do not have any photos of any of this because "what happens at rodeo stays at rodeo".

Chris

Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Scottie

Good luck Chris. Heck of a contest. Would love to go back someday!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Jorge

Good luck, hope you get some good weather this year!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

I just moved to Houston last year, and we're going to check this out... don't know any teams, but we'll probably just wander around. I'm hoping to get a look at the Continental Airlines pit, if they still use the one that Klose built.

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Saulnier
Got Wood.

CTBEERBQ you have a PM

Chris Saulnier

Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
rugbyguytx
Got Wood.

777 still uses the Klose pit and they split the tent with Adobe Equipment. Always a good time :)
rugbyguytx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I just got in from Houston. We had good event this year. Hosted FedEx on Thursday night, Land Tech on Friday night and friends, family and other guests on Saturday. I help out at Bill Cannons booth, Texas BBQ Rub and worked the door this year. That's the best job there is. Friday was hot so the girls were very lightly dressed Saturday was cold and windy as all hell.

Congrats to Ronnie & Michelle Wade 1st overall GC.

The TBR rib entry, cooked by the one and only Jeff "Redneck" Wyatt, hit in the low 50s I think.

I'm beat! Craig and I will cook the HLSR in the San Antonio booth in 2010. Ribs I suppose.

Come see us next year. I know the guy that works the door.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
I just got in from Houston. We had good event this year. Hosted FedEx on Thursday night, Land Tech on Friday night and friends, family and other guests on Saturday. I help out at Bill Cannons booth, Texas BBQ Rub and worked the door this year. That's the best job there is. Friday was hot so the girls were very lightly dressed Saturday was cold and windy as all hell.
We had that wind and temps in the 40s here. It was a beating.

I thought you'd be down there. Hope you had fun Darwin!
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote