Reaction score
http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2009/02/01/vegan-bbq-ribs/

Vegan BBQ “Ribs”

5b8335749442e16396c8d4eb8bc775a4
Written by Amy Bell
Published on February 1st, 2009
1 Comment
Posted in Eat.Drink.Better, recipes, vegetarian

Eating fewer animal products is a great way to improve your health, along with the health of the planet.

If you’re not yet ready to give up meat altogether, try having a couple of vegetarian days a week. You’ll soon discover the joys of meatless dining, and learn to appreciate the flavors and variety of vegetarian meals.
This is a great recipe if you’re wanting something slightly “meaty” and covered with spicy BBQ sauce!

Vegan BBQ “Ribs”
Use organic ingredients whenever possible

• 1 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 2 heaping tablespoons tahini
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce Use your favorite bottled sauce (look for one without high fructose corn syrup, worcestershire sauce, or anchovies), or if you have a homemade recipe you enjoy, use that instead.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil an 8×8 baking dish.
Mix the water with the tahini, tamari, and liquid smoke. Stir until blended.
In a separate bowl, mix the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
Add the wet mixture to the dry, stir to combine, and then knead for a couple minutes until strands of gluten form.
Press and stretch dough into pan, cut into 8 strips, turn pan and cut strips in half to form 16 strips total.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven , re-cut strips, and cover with BBQ sauce.
Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more.
Enjoy!

Time for some comments. Following the link...

"Great recipe. I added bacon grease for a more "porky" flavor.

Ya' know, there's usually nothing I won't try. That appears to be it.

People Eat Tasty Animals

That's pretty twisted...
Also note, that for every vegan, someone else has to eat their share of meat to keep the carbon dioxide levels down... since they claim that animals produce so much of it.

That's pretty twisted...
Also note, that for every vegan, someone else has to eat their share of meat to keep the carbon dioxide levels down... since they claim that animals produce so much of it.

I'll volunteer to take up their slack.:biggrin:

Why o why did I read this thread, why do you suppose they call them ribs?, they don't eat anything that has ribs!

I'm liking the Idea of adding Bacon/Bacon Grease and some Cheese.

Cheese and Bacon make everything better!

It might not be bad if you substituted baby back ribs for the wheat gluten and yeast powder. And who the heck puts fish in their BBQ sauce?!?

I have nothing to do with the rib recipe. I just polished off a half rack of leftover battered and deep fried slow smoked pork ribs. And for dessert, facon sundays. :)

I posted a comment. said the recipe was great just substituted some real ribs and a smoker and it was awesome.

Mods please scrub Qtalk of all meat imposter recipes please. Forum is going to Hell!

Back