MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default The Economy

Are you all seeing numbers going down with the state of the economy? I have a gig this weekend and a couple of orders for the super bowl.

The reason I'm asking is with my wife and I applying for grants and low interest loans for the catering gig I'm hoping that this is'nt going to be a big factor. I know people will always eat and when times get tough people settle for cheaper things instead of quality things. I just don't want to be under cut and over looked because of the McDonalds and Taco Bell dollar menu. Just your thoughts and suggestions and general forcast for the art we all love and enjoy selling.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think their is more wedding business to be had due to the economy, couples are looking to cut everyway possible. Corporates are cutting back, but instead of high end caterers they may go the BBQ route.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I think their is more wedding business to be had due to the economy, couples are looking to cut everyway possible. Corporates are cutting back, but instead of high end caterers they may go the BBQ route.

I agree and graduations happen every year also. I also work with clients alot and allow them to do some of their own food and serve it in my serving line. Anything to give you that edge.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

My mother, now 83 has always said "people gotta eat". A bad economy plays into your hands if you can economically serve "comfort food" and we all know comfort food is relatively cheap.

Our roadside vending is good, but we are adjusting our product mix (fewer ribs, more 1/4# All Beef Kosher hot dogs, like that). Our catering has always been about "country cooking". We've done and still do prime rib, but not as much.

Don't lessen your margins!!! Make the same percentage, just on less cost! Your gross sales will be down, but that's just the nature of the beast.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Economy

Damn The Torpedo's!

Stop watching TV and quit reading the bad-news business section. The other day I picked up the WSJ and after scanning page one - called my suicide counselor.

Remember this - in every down economy there is the seed of fortune. We have to find it. Don't run and hide - run and get the new business.

Develop unique ways to get the word out about your business. Don't invest or spend foolishly, but don't be afraid to go for it and stay the course either.

This economy will rebound and those poised for the biggest bouce back will profit the most. Regardless of how bad things may seem - people still want to have fun. And what's more fun than BBQ?

Remember, whether you've got a restaurant or just catering - our #1 product is FUN! Sell fun. It's an easy sell.

I'm in the process of taking over a small defunct BBQ joint. Am I scared. You bet - Am I gonna let fear stop me? Hell No! Remember there is a big difference between a wise investment and a foolish endeavor. The Bible says numerous times - Do Not Fear.

So Damn The Torpedos! I choose to flourish! I've got some cool marketing ideas. Contact me anytime and I'll be happy to share them.

Sincerely,
Frank Eriksen
Roaring Fork BBQ
Boulder, CO
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

So far, our catering is about the same, but people want simpler menus than in the past. Not as many of them want 5 appetizers before their meal, etc., but they still want a party.

As for vending at festivals, we were just talking about that last night. I do know a couple festivals that have re-structured, but I think more people will attend local, family events like that if they can't afford to go on expensive vacations. That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevoice View Post
Damn The Torpedo's!

Stop watching TV and quit reading the bad-news business section. The other day I picked up the WSJ and after scanning page one - called my suicide counselor.

Remember this - in every down economy there is the seed of fortune. We have to find it. Don't run and hide - run and get the new business.

Develop unique ways to get the word out about your business. Don't invest or spend foolishly, but don't be afraid to go for it and stay the course either.

This economy will rebound and those poised for the biggest bouce back will profit the most. Regardless of how bad things may seem - people still want to have fun. And what's more fun than BBQ?

Remember, whether you've got a restaurant or just catering - our #1 product is FUN! Sell fun. It's an easy sell.

I'm in the process of taking over a small defunct BBQ joint. Am I scared. You bet - Am I gonna let fear stop me? Hell No! Remember there is a big difference between a wise investment and a foolish endeavor. The Bible says numerous times - Do Not Fear.

So Damn The Torpedos! I choose to flourish! I've got some cool marketing ideas. Contact me anytime and I'll be happy to share them.

Sincerely,
Frank Eriksen
Roaring Fork BBQ
Boulder, CO
Amen Brother you said it all I am right behind you!!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Divemaster

Quote:
Damn The Torpedo's!
Frank, you have the best possible attitude for starting up a business. As for me, I'm staying the corporate course and doing it on the side... I just can't afford to give up my job and take the chance with my daughter in college. When she is out, I'm hoping it's a different story.

I wish you all the luck! In the mean time.....

Ra - Ra - Reeee.... Kick them in the knee

Ra - Ra - Rasss.... Kick them in the...... other knee...

Trust me, I'm not picking on you Frank!)
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
big brother smoke

Quote:
Damn The Torpedo's!

Sincerely,
Frank Eriksen
Roaring Fork BBQ
Boulder, CO

Hey we all can use some marketing ideas, please share publically!