MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Exe-que-tioner
On the road to being a farker

Default Sauce/Glazing Brushes

Some time ago I saw a thread on sauce/glazing brushes. We have been using your typical rubber-stranded brush that you can buy pretty much anywhere, and have not had any luck at times from reducing brush marks. I know that a lot of factors figure into the equation as far as sauce temps., thinness or thickness will fall into play here. We only brush two meats before the final presentation - brisket & ribs. Looking for a good touch-up brush for all meats.
The thread that I remember, I believe, talked about using brushes from an artist supply store, similar to what artistic painters use.? Any input would be helpful as we prepare for next year. Thanks.
Exe-que-tioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

I mix of several different paint brushes from Home Depot, Lowe's or local hardware store will work. Pay a bit extra to get ones with good bristles and/or better binding to the metal housing so you don't have to deal with lost strands on your turn in meats during crunch time. Wash them thoroughly after use and they'll be as good as new next time.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Laugh if you will, but I have 2 brushes i bought from "Williams-Sanoma in the mall" about 4 years ago, when i first started BBQ competitions.. spent like $8 each.. They have always been in great shape and never lost a hair. Best $8 I've ever spent !

i've also have some paint brushes from Lowe's and craft stores for touch-up.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I havehad good success with a silicon brush that I have but plan on getting the little touch up brushes that Vinny mentioned
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Laugh if you will, but I have 2 brushes i bought from "Williams-Sanoma in the mall" about 4 years ago, when i first started BBQ competitions.. spent like $8 each.. They have always been in great shape and never lost a hair. Best $8 I've ever spent !
I always browse thru W-S at Christmas time an never buy anything. This year I'll be buying some brushes!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I like the silicon brushes for home use and if you take your time you can give the sauce a corn roll effect. Chicks dig it.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I've always found the large bristles on the silicon brushes will leave marks, especially with a thick or sugary sauce. If that's a combination you are using, try going back over with a spray bottle loaded with hot water set on fine mist. The additional moisture and heat will help melt the brush marks away.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Exe-que-tioner
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for all the tips. I will be sure to stock up on some new brushes before the '09 season!
Exe-que-tioner is offline   Reply With Quote