MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Default People's Choice

Ok, so it has been asked in another thread.

As a organizer wanting to have great contest and also help in the cost of cooking there may be many things we could do like running the prize money through more places etc but if you cooked a contest with people choice let us know how it went with answering the questions below:

1-what was the split
2-did you have to be inspected by the health dept. and or pay a fee for that
3-were you able to sell at all times the event was open
4-how big could the samples be
5-did you have to be enclosed / screened and have a 3 hole sink / hand sink
6-was it too much work and would you do it again

Anything else I didnt mention please let us know.

Thanks, Arlie
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Arlie, you should talk to Thom Emery. He started PC out here in California and it is GREAT.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1-what was the split

teams got $1.00 and the charity or organization got $1.00

health dept did inspect us and the teams did not have to pay a fee. The HD looked for things like a proper wash station, hotwater, proper PH in bleach watewr, ice chests off the ground, screened in prep area. It did not cost the teams anything, and I believe it was a blanket health permet obtained by the promoter.

No, we started selling at either a predetermined set time (like noon till 5pm) or as soon as last turn in was done.

2oz were what we we required to sell.

You had to have a screened in prep area, a place to keep your meats hot (chaffing dishes), and you had to have 3 sinks. We used (and many other people as well) 3 buss tubs, and a dedicated hot water supply. Coleman Insta Hots work perfectly.

It is extra work, but the interaction with the crowd is great, and I got some well paying catering gigs out of the deal. The crowds love it, most of the cooks love it. Notley Que was able to make enough extra $$$ on P.C last year to pay for a few entry fees, so that in itself is worth it.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

I have spoke with Thom, I wanted to get a better fell national on how teams felt about this.

Thanks, Arlie

Old 11-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Any way for a team to recoup some of their costs is a good thing. We plan to do a few PC categories next year.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Come on out to Stagecoach 2009 April 25th and 26th in Indio CA.
Come and see how real PC is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post
I have spoke with Thom, I wanted to get a better fell national on how teams felt about this.

Thanks, Arlie

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Out this way, the term "People's Choice" usually doesn't involve selling food to the public. That's a category some contests do where they provide an extra butt or brisket to cook and it's turned in separately and people vote for their favorite. The organizer provdes the meat and it is given to the public. The entry getting the most votes gets some type of award.

But there are some contests that allow teams to vend. Most of them payout 80% of the sales to the teams. We did one contest that paid 100% of sales to the teams. I wouldn't go through all of the trouble for a 50% payout. Teams are responsible for getting the required health permits and that usually involves completing an application, paying a small fee, and getting inspected. The rules vary greatly by location. Teams also decide their own menu, portion sizes, and prices (i.e., $3 a bone for ribs or $6 for a PP sammy, etc.).

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We take care of the permits, ticket sales and pub
It is not the same as vending
At small contests many teams just sell the product they dont turn in
At a bigger one like Stagecoach they cook extra

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Thom, just wondering, do all your selling teams carry 1 million in Libility insurance for catering / vending?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

No I do

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 11-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #10
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I added my comments below Gary's and put them in red for ease in identifying who wrote what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotleyQue View Post
Here are the answers to your questions:

1-what was the split

teams got $1.00 and the charity or organization got $1.00

How many vendors are asked to pay 50% of their gross sales for the right to sell? The 80/20 split I have seen at events outside of California and Arizona are much more equitable considering who is bearing the brunt of the costs involved in cooking and serving the food.

health dept did inspect us and the teams did not have to pay a fee. The HD looked for things like a proper wash station, hotwater, proper PH in bleach watewr, ice chests off the ground, screened in prep area. It did not cost the teams anything, and I believe it was a blanket health permet obtained by the promoter.

The requirements that we've have faced have varied greatly from venue to venue. We've been required to take and pass food service tests, pass health department inspections, purchase screened walls for our booth, etc., etc. It all depends on what the health department in the county where the contest is being held requires and then it depends on what the on-site health department inspector decides you need to do.

No, we started selling at either a predetermined set time (like noon till 5pm) or as soon as last turn in was done.

This also varies from event to event. We have been asked to have food available on both Friday and Saturday at some events as a condition of participation in vending/PC/ToQ and the announced hours of service on Saturday are rarely enforced as teams will begin the vending process as early as they have food ready, usually right after Chicken turn-ins are done even though the promoter specified that distribution wasn't to begin until after Brisket turn-ins were complete.

2oz were what we we required to sell.

A 2 oz. sample has been the norm but hardly anyone is actually weighing out their sample size so portions are often in the 1/4 lb. to 1/3 lb. range. We have actually weighed out 2 oz. portions in the past and always get complaints that we're serving much smaller samples than the other teams. Folks begin to feel like they're getting ripped off and that isn't good for anyone. Enforcement of a uniform sample is next to impossible to accomplish so there isn't much you can do but go along with the majority and that means you sell fewer portions than you could have and everyone makes less money than they could have. I've seen this happen time and time again.

You had to have a screened in prep area, a place to keep your meats hot (chaffing dishes), and you had to have 3 sinks. We used (and many other people as well) 3 buss tubs, and a dedicated hot water supply. Coleman Insta Hots work perfectly.

I pretty much covered this earlier but, to reiterate, the local health department is going to be the determining factor in what the actual requirements will be and then you have to deal with what the on-site inspector wants you to do.

It is extra work, but the interaction with the crowd is great, and I got some well paying catering gigs out of the deal. The crowds love it, most of the cooks love it. Notley Que was able to make enough extra $$$ on P.C last year to pay for a few entry fees, so that in itself is worth it.

Yes, it's extra work, sometimes a lot of extra work but it can also be very rewarding as we, the teams, rarely get the opportunity to witness people tasting our food and give us their praise. It's also great fun to stand out in front of the booth and "hawk your wares" so to speak. I've had some great times doing PC/ToQ events. As for doing it again, I'll be very hard pressed to ever participate in a PC/ToQ event that has a 50/50 split. At that rate it's a break even venture at best. I would much rather spend that time either relaxing a bit after the hard work of putting together the competition food and then begin the process of breaking down and packing. We often have a long drive home (8 hours or more) the next day and I'd rather be broken down and packed up before the awards ceremony, go to the ceremony and then spend a few hours celebrating and socializing with our friends before leaving for the hotel and getting a good night of sleep.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
No I do
NOt sure that is the smartest thing to do. So you are taking all the responibllity for the teams in PC. So one person gets sick and you are in court? Sorry friend, I cant do that!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Stagecoach will I am almost positive (final agreement this coming weeK) be going back to the year one plan. The event buys and stores the meat Teams cook and serve it.
All teams will cook (or get help in doing so) an equal amounts and get a equal share of the proceeds
The standard containers (suppplied) will be sized so that 2oz fills it
The easy to load tubs used in 2008 were as Vince said too large 2 oz looked very small in it
Liability is apart of the Promotors cost. With 64,000 in attendence they have one heck of a policy

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

A People's Choice tip: you know those see-through flimsy food-service disposable gloves? We found that ten tickets will fit neatly in each finger and thumb for a total of fifty per glove, then the wrist can be knotted. Makes counting time a breeze.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Stagecoach will I am almost positive (final agreement this coming weeK) be going back to the year one plan. The event buys and stores the meat Teams cook and serve it.
All teams will cook (or get help in doing so) an equal amounts and get a equal share of the proceeds
The standard containers (suppplied) will be sized so that 2oz fills it
The easy to load tubs used in 2008 were as Vince said too large 2 oz looked very small in it
Liability is apart of the Promotors cost. With 64,000 in attendence they have one heck of a policy
Can you explain that equal share of the proceeds thing? Are you saying that if I sell 2000 samples and Gary sells 2 samples that we get the same amount of money? I hope we are just having a bit of miscommunication. I like being in control of my own destiny. I understand PC being too much for some teams to handle but don't limit my ability to earn.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #15
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Here in Georgia you would have zero chance of selling a 2 oz sample for $2.

The People's Choice setups I've seen typically include 5-10 tickets included with admission, with the option to purchase more. The highest price for a sample ticket I've seen is a dollar, and a price that high is rare. PC and vending are usually kept separate.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote