A team got caught cheating in Columbia

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
by using openly using a propane torch to glaze their brisket. They were turned in by another team (witnessed by several people). Based on the posted scores no action was taken, even though the rep indicated to the party that turned them in, that action was being taken. WTF???

damn, with that I dont know who to hold more responsible, the team for doing it, or, the reps for not taking the appropriate course of actions.

damn, with that I dont know who to hold more responsible, the team for doing it, or, the reps for not taking the appropriate course of actions.
I hear ya. I'm not going to blame anyone for my poor performace except me, but..........

That is not right, and the Reps were wrong to condone that activity. Should be banned for a year

Does anyone know this team? Are they newbies and it was a mistake or was it someone taking shortcuts?

Eric

Seriously? For real?

I guess if they tried to set the glaze with wooden kitchen matches, that would be legal.:razz:

by using openly using a propane torch to glaze their brisket. They were turned in by another team (witnessed by several people). Based on the posted scores no action was taken, even though the rep indicated to the party that turned them in, that action was being taken. WTF???

If nothing happened they didn't get caught, did they?

While I, like almost everyone else that reads this, have no information or knowledge of the events, there are a few basic things wrong,

No representitive should ever make a statement about something like that during the event, it's no ones business, nor their job in my opinion to explain actions taken or not taken after the infraction was called to their attention. The reps should have just given the team a DQ and let the team explain why or what their side is when it hits the fan if it was warrented.

I did not know about this. WTF - no action was taken. That really makes me mad. There are a lot of teams who play by the rules, and this is allowed. I think there needs to be an investigation in the REP.

To clear a couple things up;

A team that all of us MOFO's know very well witnessed it and reported it. I have no axe to grind with anyone, especially the offending party, but, you cheat, you lose, period! Shortcut??? It was a PROPANE torch. Illegal.

I'm not going to mention team names in this open forum. I have e-mailed KCBS merely asking them to look into it and clear the air.

That is not right, and the Reps were wrong to condone that activity. Should be banned for a year

Who should be banned, the reps or the team, or...?

CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION

H. Use of gas or other auxiliary heat sources inside the
cooking device.

Violation of any of the KCBS Cook’s Rules (above,

save and except #9 – 13).
Excessive or continued complaints from teams on any of the
above rule infractions shall be considered grounds for
immediate disqualification from the contest by KCBS
Representatives, Organizers and/or Security.
In addition, any violation of the above rules shall be
reported to the KCBS Board of Directors who may in
addition to the above disqualification impose additional
penalties upon the team, the head cook, and its members
including but not limited to disqualification from
competing in KCBS events for a period of time not to

exceed five years

Who should be banned, the reps or the team, or...?

CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION
H. Use of gas or other auxiliary heat sources inside the cooking device.

Violation of any of the KCBS Cook’s Rules (above,

save and except #9 – 13).

Excessive or continued complaints from teams on any of the

above rule infractions shall be considered grounds for

immediate disqualification from the contest by KCBS
Representatives, Organizers and/or Security.
In addition, any violation of the above rules shall be
reported to the KCBS Board of Directors who may in
addition to the above disqualification impose additional
penalties upon the team, the head cook, and its members
including but not limited to disqualification from
competing in KCBS events for a period of time not to

exceed five years

Ummm - I don't practice law, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week. To be disqualified per the section quoted above, it sounds like the gas or other heating device would have had to be used inside the cooker. If you had the brisket on a picnic table and hit them with a torch would disqualification be the proper result based on what's provided above.

If they did use the torch outside the smoker I think the applicable rule would be -

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Need to use this rule with CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION, I. Violation of any of the KCBS Cook’s Rules (above, save and except #9 – 13) to get you were you want to be.

and always remember - 1. The decision and interpretations of the KCBS Rules and Regulations are at the discretion of the KCBS Contest Representatives at the contest. Their decisions andinterpretations are final.

Guess we will have to wait and see how this plays-out.

As a cook, judge, and bbq taste lover, WHY would anyone want to add the taste of burnt propane to their turn-in? Do they really think good judges wouldn't detect it? Naive and dumb strategy. Reps and teams needs to be addressed very harshly if the rules were broken that blatantly. Steve.

Ummm - I don't practice law, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week. To be disqualified per the section quoted above, it sounds like the gas or other heating device would have had to be used inside the cooker. If you had the brisket on a picnic table and hit them with a torch would disqualification be the proper result based on what's provided above.

If they did use the torch outside the smoker I think the applicable rule would be -

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Need to use this rule with CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION, I. Violation of any of the KCBS Cook’s Rules (above, save and except #9 – 13) to get you were you want to be.

and always remember - 1. The decision and interpretations of the KCBS Rules and Regulations are at the discretion of the KCBS Contest Representatives at the contest. Their decisions andinterpretations are final.

Good points, I dont know! Seems to me nither would apply. Could one argue it is already cooked, so gas was not used for either?

It sounds to me like someone came up with a way around a rule that needs to have further stipulations added.

They could easily argue that the torch had no cooking effect on the meat, it only was used to set the glaze. That portion could be considered a cooking process just as easily as it could be argued it wasn't.

What -Reps catch them in the act? A rep hardly ever goes around to the spots. It takes the honesty of the teams to turn it in.

They were trying to put a crust on their brisket after being in foil, is what they were probably doing.

I think the rep should be put on probation and the team be banned.

Without naming the team that did this ... any idea if they are new(ish) or was it an established team? Did they get a call or overall top 10?

If it was a first time team, I think a DQ in catagory is acceptable from the rep. If it was a team who has cooked before, an overall comp DQ is needed. If the team is established and has received a few calls in the past, a harsher penalty is in line.

years agao during our first contests, I asked if a butane torch can be used on cooked chicken to crisp the skin and set the glaze....Same one used to glazed deserts and carmelize sugars.

I was told NO and it is grounds for a DQ.

years ago I asked if a butane torch can be used on cooked chicken to crisp the skin and set the glaze....Same one used to glazed deserts and carmelize sugars.

I was told NO and it is grounds for a DQ.

I have heard both arguements on this one. The rule is unclear... and how far do you take it? If you do twist it and say that you are just using it to set sauce/complete presentation... do you also tell folks they cant finish, with hot sauce unless the pan was heated on the cooker ( not a propane stove or microwave in a camper?) I know, splitting hairs... not trying to be inflamatory.

IMHO - any direct heat source on the meat, is cooking or holding the temp and should be grounds for a DQ for at least that catagory. I would look for a pattern before I would suggest banning the team for any length of time... The board would have to look at the "bigger picture" and determine what the right course of action is, after proper review.

Tough based on the hair-splitting someone could do to help speculate

Using a gas torch to set a glaze is grounds for DQ if a team was to be found doing it again it could be grounds for a two year ban. As a Rep if you didn't see it you would need more than one complaint or more than one witness to make the call.

I would go to the team and ask them if they used a gas torch on the turn-in. If they were truthful, I would DQ the entry and explain what the full extent of this practice could be with up to a two year ban. If they were to say that they didn't do it, it would be he said she said unless more were to come forward with the same complaint.

The situation would have to be reported to the BOD and let them investigate. It is the BOD job to make any further rulings.

If I saw it as the Rep the DQ would be required. Without seeing it you have to gather information and make the best call available to you at the time.

Back