Wasabi Peas

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
While I was on my two week adventure I ran across Wasabi Peas. I gonna try to do them on the smoker next week while Mrs Ashmont is outta town. I got this recipe from Yahoo answers. Anyone try this? They are real good...

Easy & Healthy Wasabi Peas:

Ingredients:

2 sprays cooking spray
3 pound frozen green peas, thawed under hot water and drained
4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
8 tsp wasabi powder, or to taste
2 tsp Dijon mustard

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 225ºF. Coat two large baking sheets with cooking spray.

Transfer peas to prepared baking sheets and bake 3 hours, or until dry, shaking pans every 30 minutes to promote even cooking.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, wasabi powder and mustard. When peas have roasted, add them to wasabi mixture and toss to coat. Return peas to baking sheet and bake until coating is dry, about 20 minutes more. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.

Notes:

The peas will be slightly dried in texture but not truly crunchy. To preserve the dried state, store in an airtight container or a zip-close plastic bag for 3 days. To help dry out any cooked peas that have gone too soft, recook them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at 250ºF.

I love wasabi peas and have always thought about smokin some. Hope you give it a try Ashmont. I'm curious as to how they will taste. :)

Love 'em, but this sounds like way too much work and expense. I just buy them at the local World Market for about 1.50 per bag. :icon_cool

Love 'em, but this sounds like way too much work and expense. I just buy them at the local World Market for about 1.50 per bag. :icon_cool

Agreed but probably not quite as good. I like those edamame beans too.

Ashmont:

That sounds like a good experiment but how you going to keep them falling thjropugh the grates?

PS: You back in STL now?

Ashmont:

That sounds like a good experiment but how you going to keep them falling thjropugh the grates?

PS: You back in STL now?

Will be in STL land for two weeks as of right now. I saw somewhere somebody used the thing that cover the frying pan to catch the oil from jumping out. I think that I will put them on that and see what happens.

If it works out, I want to try it. Let us know.

PS: don't you have one of your charity cooks coming up?

Yummm, that sounds good. I LUV wasabi peas but would prefer them not to be so jaw-breaking rock hard, so I will be trying out this recipe for sure. Thanks for posting. :tongue:

I love wasabi peas. They are totally addicting. Let us know how yours turn out.

Wasabi Peanuts are pretty good too.... Wasabi ANYTHING will work for me....

Made them in the oven

Thumbs down from me. Think I'll stick with the commercial product.

This recipe doesn't do it for me. Hardly any wasabi flavour even though I bumped the wasabi up by 25%. Perhaps the oven temperature was too high for the flavor to survive the baking, but there wasn't even a hint of heat. (I like to blow my brains out with a muddy wasabi-soy slurry when I eat sushi.) :eek:

Expect slightly more than 50% shrinkage. Definitely NOT crunchy, but lots of chewing involved. Good thing I only made 1/2 the recipe.

Here's a picture of the Wasabi Peas in a teaspoon:

PICT0034_W.jpg

Well, I've been munching on the WP's all day. Seems like I fried my taste buds a bit when I ate them warm out of the oven last night. So, on 2nd chewing (hehe), the WP's DO have a slight taste of wasabi, but definitely NONE OF THE BITE or HEAT that is so typical of wasabi.

If I were to do WPs again, I would make them in the dehydrator and also try it with nuts. I think lower temperatures will help preserve the spiciness. Not sure if I can replicate this, but I'd like my WPs to be so hot as to clear the sinuses. :shock:

Ashmont, maybe you could try cold-smoking them (?).

Yeah....why go through all the work. Buy'em at basically any grocery store in the Oriental section... Luv 'em puppies. But... Go for it!

Yeah....why go through all the work. Buy'em at basically any grocery store in the Oriental section... Luv 'em puppies. But... Go for it!

He he, you're totally right. The magic word was "IF I were to do WPs again..." but Nah, they ARE too much work WITHOUT that wasabi HIT.

I love the peas and the peanuts- will have to ask my wife to get some at the store this weekend

Back