MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
goodearth
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Great outdoors Smoky Mountain

just purchased a Great outdoors Smoky Mountain from basspro it's running right now to burn off any oils etc. Does anyone have any advise on using this unit ie; mods and/or info on how it produces Q?
goodearth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hear that the wood box is too small so some people use a small cast iron skillet for that purpose. Others in here will chime in I am sure.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
goodearth

the one thing I heard was that it is tough to keep it running at 225 degrees that it likes to stabilize around 275 or so As for the wood box I'm use to a 6"x6" on a burner in my old grill so anything is better than that!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I have also heard that it is a warm weather smoker. Pretty hard to keep the temps you would want in the middle of the winter. Must be someway to insulate it though?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Did you get the gas or charcoal model?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
goodearth

I've placed it in an area with wind block on 3 sides (right where the chair is in the pic) and I have a old welders blanket for insulation in cold weather OH and the spa will keep me warm during those cold nights too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.jpg (54.9 KB, 132 views)

Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
goodearth

here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (39.3 KB, 123 views)

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know anything about that smoker, but man what a nice way to watch it :),
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Keep the water pan pretty full. I use a flower watering jug to add hot water as necessary. Look around the site for guys that use a stone flower pot base wrapped in foil or rocks in the water to help with temperature control.

My neighbor couldn't get his charcoal model to work (!) and gave it to me. Funny, it works just fine at my house...after a bit of Brethren help.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Jack2u2
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd get something under it before you grease up that wood deck. I have a different model of that smoker, and the problem I had was keeping the temp down in summer. Couldn't turn the gas down enough to stay at 225. It was a workhorse, though, for a long time. Lots of meat cooked in it!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
BBQ Grail

I have one of those. I use it for ABT's, fatties and stuff like that. It will drip grease all over your deck. I have no problem keeping temps around 225 degrees with it.

The water pan pretty much only functions as a heat barrier. Fill it with sand and cover in foil and you won't have to worry about filling it with water all the time.

I am no longer captious...so bite me Shane.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@larrygaian.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
BobF
Take a breath!

You should be able to find one of those heat mats meant to go under a propane heater for use in the house. They make them in multiple sizes and I be there is one the legs would sit on. This would protect your deck from grease as well as any stray heat from the burner. The top is metal with an insulation backing similar to an asbestos mat, not asbestos though .

Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Hoorenga
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks like mine 'cept mine is charcoal. The gas model might do better in cold weather as I would assume you could just crank it up. The charcoal one doesn't do well in cold weather, especially if there is a wind. I did have good luck wrapping it with an old blanket though. I had great success with it and plan on using it for a cold smoker for fish and jerky now that I have my Brinkman Stillwater with 1/4 steel construction.

Hoo (where's that #$&* been?)

It was a brave man who first ate an oyster.
Brinkman Stillwater Limited, Great Outdoors Vertical charcoal.
Hoorenga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
matt
On the road to being a farker

I have 4 of them they work great,add water about every 3 hours.I cook about 60 pounds in mine every weekend and sell it by the pound,you will need to put something under it . it will get greasy
matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodearth View Post
just purchased a Great outdoors Smoky Mountain from basspro it's running right now to burn off any oils etc. Does anyone have any advise on using this unit ie; mods and/or info on how it produces Q?
I have the same unit. been using it for years. turns out great stuff IMHO.

Mine holds temps pretty well even in winter. you do have to watch it some. a wind barrier might help if you have a cool wind and even if you go from sun to shade , it can effect temps a bit. keep water pan full and in fact, i put an extra disposable aluminum pan on bottom shelf with water in it too for an extra "heat sink".

we'll be anxiously awaiting your first food pron!

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote