• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Stick Burners and Big A#$ed Smokers Call

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
B

barbefunkoramaque

I am trying to find an efficient way to get the low down on who are the stick burners and who has smokers weighing in excess of 500 or so pounds?

I have tons of video footage and stuff on mods to these type of smoker and would like to share and learn what others are doing.

Here is my smoker "Meat Mamma 3000." Every ounce was built from custom steel (Not a used or New Tank... although I wished at one time I would have spent more time on the firebox design and just buy a 500 or 600 gallon round tank).

I am in NO WAY saying my smoker is better than an UD or even a bullet... Just that this is the way I roll for the bulk I do and would like to talk design (Or fixing design FLAWS) of their smoker or my smoker as it evolves.

The closest thing to my smoker would be a Southern Yankee Rotisserie smoker that was designed back when Troy Austin (of ANS) still worked with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I thought I qualified as a big A#$ed Smoker all by myself. Didn't realized you were talking about pits. :mrgreen:

On the serious side, yours looks like one nice smoking machine.

The closest thing to my smoker would be a Southern Yankee Rotisserie smoker that was designed back when Troy Austin (of ANS) still worked with them.

Looks like the Klose rotisserie smoker would have some similarities to yours. Twin stacks, firebox accross the back. They are really nice to cook on -

rotisserie_mobile_pg2.jpg

I have one over 600 that I built. I have 3 to build this semster. What did you use for the round fire box and tell about your vent system

Your question is a little confusing, but how does your smoker cook? are you having problems with hotspots, uneven cooking, or temp control? Also, I would love to see some pics of the innards of that beautiful smoker.

My little Lang is 970lbs according to the website, but I believe that it cooks completely differently as she is a reverse flow smoker.

Attachments

• old smoker 2.jpg
    old smoker 2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Lang Innards 1.jpg
    Lang Innards 1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Lang Innards 2.jpg
    Lang Innards 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Lang Innards 4.jpg
    Lang Innards 4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 187
I don't quite go 500, but I am big.

My Horizon weighs 3700. My trailer and fec500 wirghs 7100.

bar, I don't have a big rig like that but....I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. The one thing that I wander about is the position of the firebox. The design looks fine but it looks like the firebox is somewhat high on the smoking chamber. It may just be the picture. Just a visual observation. Lot of heavyweights here that can give good advise.

I am concerned if that beast spends much time on the highway on those tires. Heavy!

I dunno.... it looks like it needs a double axle!

It is nice though, I too would like to see the inside.

Lang - 1,700 lbs. Pulls like a dream, smokes like a monster Stick Burnin' Fool. Get the wood ready if you are gonna run her at 400 and Fast Track those Brisky's and Butts in 6 hours!!!!
smoker.jpg

My Spicewine weighs 600 lbs but it ain't a stick burner...unless your name is Poohbah.

Looks like the Klose rotisserie smoker would have some similarities to yours. Twin stacks, firebox accross the back. They are really nice to cook on -

rotisserie_mobile_pg2.jpg
Ah very good this is nwhat I am talking about. Big Stacks and on the sides... other than ease of weld and look i see he put the stacks exit on the side. If Klose puts them there.... then they are supposed to be there. I climbed his fence once on X mas LOL. Thanks

Lang - 1,700 lbs. Pulls like a dream, smokes like a monster Stick Burnin' Fool. Get the wood ready if you are gonna run her at 400 and Fast Track those Brisky's and Butts in 6 hours!!!!
smoker.jpg
LOL you know I am a fast burner huh? Hey are you same same Kick ass Prime Rib Guy. If so... when I was an internet manager for a series of dealerships Your smoked Prime Rib Picture was my screensaver for months.

Glorous Pit... any mods you wish to make?

My Spicewine weighs 600 lbs but it ain't a stick burner...unless your name is Poohbah.

Yeah and you can smoke 12 Butts in 12 hours with only 3 Pecan Nuts its so efficent.

64476111_tp.jpg

This is the pit I use. Purchased it in Macon, GA.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
BBQ PIT SMOKER competition trailer w/ gas starter GRILL
Charcoal 2 door BBQ pit with a propane gas ignite starter in smoke box. Cooking on this grill is from charcoal and/or meat can be smoked from using the smoke box. Like all of our units this one is built with quality components and a professional paint job. Gas is used for starting the wood in smoke box or for added heat through the smoke box while cooking. There are no gas burners inside the actual grill for cooking.
[/FONT]​
  • 250 gal. Grill​
  • Double plated for Charcoal​
  • 2 Propane Holders in Front and 2 Fish Fryers​
  • 2 Stainless Stell 500 Degree Thermometers​
  • 2 Cooking Racks Inside, Lower 29"x63" and Upper 21"x63"​
  • 2 Doors on one side​
  • Easy to Clean​
  • Reverse Airflow Plate for Smoking​
  • 1200 Degree High Temp Coating on Body​
  • fully Welded Trailer​
  • DOT Trailer Lights​
  • 3500lb Axle with 15" tires​
  • safety chains and 2" ball coupler​
[/FONT]

I am concerned if that beast spends much time on the highway on those tires. Heavy!

LOL yeah it weighs 1000. The rotesserie puts it over. I don't tow far and that picture was taken with the wrong axle on it. I ordered a new axle on ebay and didn;t think if the tire size.... so I had just welded that trailer and put the deck on and was testing the tracks and winch. So in order to get it to this one party I was doing I had to go and buy some wheels that would fit (each is rated for 1200 Lbs Though) without rubbing the side until my 96 Inch axles came in. The axle in the picture is now on the Meadow Creek Pig Smoker Clone I am making.

Now at fairs heres what I pull the smoker round with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GtWpyyEyqA

Now some of you may think... why weld out something like that and not just put it on the trailer.
Well, in my design, it had to do three things:

1. was (see the Skids of 3 inch square tubing i used) must be able to be dropped out of a C-140!
2. can be winched on to the Funkotorium (Commissary) for and BIG event or the trailer you see for small events.
3. can be winched off in case I want to put the PIg Roaster (not finished yet) which can be winched on... in case I need to go to a Big Event that wants a Pig roast.

My unit was modified this summer by cutting out half of the rotesserie and installing shelves so as far as I know its the only half and half. I wanted to be able to smoke a 20 lbs Clod if I wanted and the shelves make plopping meat into pans to catch the juices a lot easier when I feed large groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaE9tELJmM0

64476111_tp.jpg

This is the pit I use. Purchased it in Macon, GA.​

BBQ PIT SMOKER competition trailer w/ gas starter GRILL
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charcoal 2 door BBQ pit with a propane gas ignite starter in smoke box. Cooking on this grill is from charcoal and/or meat can be smoked from using the smoke box. Like all of our units this one is built with quality components and a professional paint job. Gas is used for starting the wood in smoke box or for added heat through the smoke box while cooking. There are no gas burners inside the actual grill for cooking. [/FONT]

[/FONT]

• 250 gal. Grill​
  • Double plated for Charcoal​
  • 2 Propane Holders in Front and 2 Fish Fryers​
  • 2 Stainless Stell 500 Degree Thermometers​
  • 2 Cooking Racks Inside, Lower 29"x63" and Upper 21"x63"​
  • 2 Doors on one side​
  • Easy to Clean​
  • Reverse Airflow Plate for Smoking​
  • 1200 Degree High Temp Coating on Body​
  • fully Welded Trailer​
  • DOT Trailer Lights​
  • 3500lb Axle with 15" tires​
  • safety chains and 2" ball coupler​
[/FONT]

Nice... I just got my burner in for the Gas Asssist I am installing. Can't wait... I resisted Gas for so long except for my log lighter. But I have to consider economics now and winter.
how many BTU is your assist?

I have a 6ft southern yankee,first design,that is FOR SALE.I have used this smoker for about 4 years,you can email me for info at flcracker1@yahoo.com

You selling the whole trailer? Or are you going to cut the unit off? Why Come.

Not sure about the BTUs. I've only had mine a couple of months but I have really enjoyed it. Just starting to get use to it! Here's a link to their website; you can add different things to it such as rib boxes, warmers, etc.

http://www.bubbagrills.net/

I have one over 600 that I built. I have 3 to build this semster. What did you use for the round fire box and tell about your vent system

Well I was going to buy a 500 Gallon 12 gauge steel fuel tank. I measured it and went to a steel fab shop and they were only going to fab out the firebox (smaller Tube). But I would save maybe 120 dollars having them bend out the smoke chamber as well. It is patterned after the tank at 38 Inches and the Firebox is 16 Inches diameter.

I will never do this again. The extra time welding the sides was not worth it. Also if you see my videos online constructing this thing, I SHOULD have designed a 1/4 firebox. 12 gauge warped too much and I had to add add angle iron on the firebox doors to stabilize that or the warping would cause temp spikes. I found on craigslist for $50 a 4 x 8 sheet (with one small segment cut out ) of 1/4 that I plan to make the thicker Austin Nat. Smoker style flat bottom firebox for a future mod or new smoker.

VENT Ports are copied from Southern Yankee and I just had the fab shop computer cut them before they go on. NIXED THE BOTTOM ONES but want to ad them now. The ones on the front slide and open air into the firebox when I am not using the STOKER and there is another set between the firebox and the main chamber.

see this video on how they work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdlNG_gDZ20

The Meat Mamma 3000 now can cook in two zones 30-50 degrees apart (outside temp affects) One for the Rotisserie Side the other for the Shelf side.

Your question is a little confusing, but how does your smoker cook? are you having problems with hotspots, uneven cooking, or temp control? Also, I would love to see some pics of the innards of that beautiful smoker.

My little Lang is 970lbs according to the website, but I believe that it cooks completely differently as she is a reverse flow smoker.

The Rotesserie gets around the hotspots and the new heat shield I slap in the firebox soften up the heat. No... actually it takes some great Q and even when I run it without air induction the vents keep it steady... I had a prob with warping cuz I used 12 gauge but I took care of that. Only complaint I have with the ANS or Southern Yankee is I found it was not good for the way I cater plus I could not do a 15 to 20 lbs Shoulder clod on those shelves so I split the unit into half rotesserie and half shelves.

Back