spices in bulk

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do you guys buy your spices in bulk so that you can mix up your rubs or do you use the little canisters from the grocery store. if you buy in bulk where do you buy them?

Sams carrys most of the basic ingrediants, or there are some online places that Im sure some brothers will chime in with here shortly.... guys...??

we mostly get them from sams club, and our grocery or co-op has the rest. the big bottles.

I just got 7 pounds of homebbq.com rib rub. it was a lot cheaper than the shakers

The grocery store packs are expensive. For the most part, I buy bulk packs. I hit the restaurant supply places in the L.A. area (Restaurant Depot, or Surfas), sometimes Costco or Smart & Final (which is a smaller warehouse type place in Western states.

While you can make the argument that big containers go stale after you open them, there's no guarantee of freshness when buying small containers at a market that doesn't turn their inventory fast enough. So I'll take my chances at a restaurant supply place where they're more likely to sell through common spices faster than a supermarket.

I recently found an asian market (huge asian market) that has a lot of bulk spices at rock bottom prices.

H-mart in Federal Way, S 312 and Pac Hwy. It's an old QFC.

I'll probably swing by there this weekend and make sure that I'm remembering correctly on the prices.

H-mart in Federal Way, S 312 and Pac Hwy. It's an old QFC.

Cool...thanks Tim. Too bad my wife's Aunt and Uncle no longer live down there...they could hook me up. Hey...it's not THAT far of a road trip though. Do you know if they carry powdered bay leaf? I can't find it anywhere up here.

I'll look and let you know, they got lots of stuff that I have absolutley no earthly idea of what it is since the signs on a bunch of stuff are in what I'm guessing is Korean! I know Safeway doesn't carry it since I looked last weekend!

I buy all my spices in bulk at the local health food store, not sure if all of them do that though.

Our local grocery store has bulk spices in the produce section for reasonable prices.

There's a health food and spice shop real close to my shop. They sell me fresh spices ground or unground in bulk.:-D I like grinding the pepper myself.:biggrin:

Back